A few questions

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by change, Jul 5, 2007.

1. change

change TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hi guys I'm new here. I just wanted to ask a few questions:

1. When shooting in the early mornings (5 - 6 am) do the rules for night photography apply? (tripod, no flash)

2. What exactly is "bulb shot"?

3. When shooting in the rain do the rules for night photography apply?

4. I don't have sports mode in my digicam. (Pentax Optio S60) is there a way for me to shoot moving subjects without the "blur" and without using flash? i.e. a basketball game

Thanks in advance, hope to here from you guys soon.

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Welcome to the forum.

Forget about the time of day or the weather and think about light. If there isn't much light...then you will probably need a longer shutter speed...in which case a tripod would be recommended.

The same goes with shooting sports. To freeze the action you need a fast shutter speed. You can adjust the aperture of the lens and the ISO setting, to get a faster shutter speed...but that will only take you so far. The more light you have, the faster the shutter speed you can get. Most indoor sports, while they may seem bright, are actually pretty dim...so getting fast shutter speeds is tough.

Bulb is the setting for keeping your shutter open for an extended period of time. Usually, you press the button once to open the shutter and then you have to press it again to close the shutter. It's really only useful when shooting when it's very dark.

3. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That's T mode, or some crazy things to do with not draining infrared battery remotes.

Bulb mode the shutter stays open while it's depressed. As soon as you let go it closes.