A few recent Osprey

coastalconn

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
The season is starting to thump. Over the past few weeks I came to the conclusion that there are some rogue Great Horned Owls in the area and they actually wiped out at least 10 nests. Serious bummer... Anyways there are still many young starting to fish and caught a few nice ones over the past few days.. Comments welcome and thanks for looking.

Osprey 7_25 3 by Kristofer Rowe, on Flickr

Osprey 7_25 1 by Kristofer Rowe, on Flickr

Osprey 7_25 2 by Kristofer Rowe, on Flickr

Osprey Dive 7_26 by Kristofer Rowe, on Flickr

Osprey 7_22 by Kristofer Rowe, on Flickr

That sucks about the owls. Your pictures are fantastic as always!

That sucks about the owls. Your pictures are fantastic as always!
At least there are many more nests here. Its just nature being it's cruel usual self keeping everything in balance I guess :(

Kris, nice images - #4 is my favourite. I wasn't aware that (GHO) owls were "predators" on osprey. I am assuming that they hunt the chicks still in the nest. As you suggest, it is a bit unfortunate and not something we like to see, but just nature keeping everything in balance.

WesternGuy

Kris, nice images - #4 is my favourite. I wasn't aware that (GHO) owls were "predators" on osprey. I am assuming that they hunt the chicks still in the nest. As you suggest, it is a bit unfortunate and not something we like to see, but just nature keeping everything in balance.

WesternGuy

That is new info to me, Owls don't take other birds nest do they?

Great set love #5! :)

WesternGuy

WesternGuy
That is new info to me, Owls don't take other birds nest do they?
Great set love #5! :)
GHO are vicious killers. I did some you tube-ing and there is a video of a GHO ripping apart what appears to be a fledge Bald Eagle! There is also video from one of the eagle web cams that had a GHO try to attack the nest 3 nights in a row. They also take hawk babies and I am sure just about any other nest they come across is fair game.

post your lastest hawk shots you have on flickr.

GHO are vicious killers. I did some you tube-ing and there is a video of a GHO ripping apart what appears to be a fledge Bald Eagle! There is also video from one of the eagle web cams that had a GHO try to attack the nest 3 nights in a row. They also take hawk babies and I am sure just about any other nest they come across is fair game.

That is very interesting, I didn't know that.

A lead educator from a local bird of prey rescue center, said that GHO's are more likely responsible for missing animals wild and domestic, than any other animal. She said coyotes are blamed often for actions of Great Horned owls.

Who would have thought?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back