A few shots from the Oregon Coast

tnvol

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took these a few weeks ago while visiting the Oregon Coast with my family. It was either raining or very overcast the whole weekend but I managed to get a few that I liked enough to post. C&C welcome. Hope you enjoy!

Man your thread was slipping away, shame too - it's got nice pics. #1 looks like it should be on a post card, very nice.

Off first impression I like the scale of #1 and the view distance. I like the simplicity of #3. #3 would look great cropped to be vertical, chopping off most of the right side of the picture - right about to where the bottom of the frame meets the shoreline. That shoreline is a nice leading line, better with the crop (at least in my head).

I think #2 would be better a bit wider. I feel like I want to take a step back and see the edge of the peninsula on the right, and a little further over on the left too where a bldg is cut in half. You could try a closer crop too... bringing in the left to take the foreground building out and bringing the bottom up - maybe.

I see what you were going for in #4, but I think you should have pointed the camera to the right a bit maybe. It would have been nice to preserve the long leading line of the shore and it would have un-centered the lighthouse.

Just my humble opinions though.

I see what you were going for in #4, but I think you should have pointed the camera to the right a bit maybe. It would have been nice to preserve the long leading line of the shore and it would have un-centered the lighthouse.

Just my humble opinions though.

I agree, but I keep looking at that one closer and it looks like to right the rocks curve back further away from the camera. The shore line would look better, but the cliffs could of looked like crap curving that way. I don't know cause I wasn't there, but could have.

very beautiful i probably would have played with the contrast and brightness a little on the first two.

Thanks for the feedback!

#2 comes off as feeling like a crop of a much larger shot (or what my mind wants to be a larger shot). I agree with what reznap said about it.

The Oregon coast is a photographer's dream if you can be in the area when it's not raining :)

I like your photos here, although numbers 2 and 4 would be a bit dull if viewed individually and not as part of the set.

Numbers 3 and 1, in that order, are much stronger in my opinion.

While the crop suggested by reznap might work, I like #3 (as is) the best of the set. It's easily the one with the most drama and best lines, and I think it would improve on both those fronts if converted to B&W. Compositionally is a tad unconventional, but it works for me. Some might say that it's a tad "heavy" on the lower-left area; maybe try to get a bit more definition on the top-right section of the clouds in post to compensate, if at all possible.

Number 1 is a cool view that would've likely been even better if shot during sunset, with the golden-hour light kissing those shores.

Thanks for sharing these. You helped my case to go back to Oregon for a coastal road trip :)

The Oregon coast is a photographer's dream if you can be in the area when it's not raining :)

I like your photos here, although numbers 2 and 4 would be a bit dull if viewed individually and not as part of the set.

Numbers 3 and 1, in that order, are much stronger in my opinion.

While the crop suggested by reznap might work, I like #3 (as is) the best of the set. It's easily the one with the most drama and best lines, and I think it would improve on both those fronts if converted to B&W. Compositionally is a tad unconventional, but it works for me. Some might say that it's a tad "heavy" on the lower-left area; maybe try to get a bit more definition on the top-right section of the clouds in post to compensate, if at all possible.

Number 1 is a cool view that would've likely been even better if shot during sunset, with the golden-hour light kissing those shores.

Thanks for sharing these. You helped my case to go back to Oregon for a coastal road trip :)

I hear you on #3. That one was kind of tricky. There was a huge dead Sea Lion right to my left that had cones and yellow tape around it so I was trying to avoid that. To the left of that, the beach was blocked off and I couldn't walk down any further. I can't wait to get back and try some of these shots again. It sure is a beautiful place to be with a camera. I appreciate your feedback.

Most reactions

Back