A few shots of autumn birds ... as promised Corinna ;)

Discussion in 'Landscape & Cityscape' started by toruonu, Oct 30, 2005.

1. toruonu

toruonu TPF Noob!

well was driving home today when noticed this birdy waiting for pray on an electricity line :) Thought to share...

1. [​IMG]

and took these two while looking for row deers and mooses yesterday ;)

2. [​IMG]

3. [​IMG]

nice balancing eh ;) Comments welcome...

2. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Oh, thank you so much, Mario!
    To be knowing that someone took photos and thought of me at the time.... :blushing: :oops:

While hawks were a rare sight for me as a child, I now see many of them where I live and I have tried to capture their photo here or there, but without ANY success AT ALL so far, so I am happy to see you take "my" photos by proxy ;) :mrgreen:

And the other two are cute little things... can't say I have seen the last one ever before. What is it? Do you know?

3. toruonu

toruonu TPF Noob!

well you can't approach a hawk just like that. They have a very good eyesight and normally are quite scared. Probably the only reliable way is to take the shot from a moving car, that's also how I took the first pic here, my wife was holding the wheel while I was going at 30km/h and shooting pics. You have to pass the bird by ca 1km, turn around and keep a constant motion, then drive past him and for a second shot do the same (also drive past him for about 1-2km and then turn around).

Regarding the last one, it's a long tailed tit :)

4. LaFoto

Photos NOT OK to edit
    :shock: You took that first photo while driving past at 30 km/h!? :shock:

No wonder I never get them.
    First problem: no wife.
    (I am the wife).
    Second problem: husband never around when hawk is spotted.
    Third problem: I always spot them next to the WIDE, FAST-GOING country road where you are EXPECTED to go at 100 km/h! Duh!

5. toruonu

toruonu TPF Noob!

Well I found this one hanging around a highway around here as well :) I was going at 110km/h when I spotted it :) So I just drove past, turned around, put the signaling lights on to notify everyone I was a loony :D I just left room enough for everyone to pass :D

And I got the pic on 3rd pass :) First few I got the buffer full exactly at the closest approach time :D And at one pass he had just caught a mouse and I didn't notice him until the last moment and only got blurry shots as 30-40km/h was a bit too fast ;)

6. LaFoto

Photos NOT OK to edit
    What a cool story, but I can tell you I would never dare doing that on the road where I usually see them! For one thing I cannot turn around anywhere for several kilometres to go, and then I just would not dare to crawl along the edge of the road with the warning lights on, what with so many big lorries using that road. Aaargh. No!
    So the only hawk photo I ever got is a bad one, the hawk is tiny despite the fully extended zoom lens and all in all it is even too bad for the snapshots :cry: