A few shots of my cobra

M240Bravo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well yes I'm new. Just came on here to learn some stuff about taking pictures. I have no clue what I'm doing with this camera. Its my first cool camera. Its a D40 with a 15-55 lens that comes with it, or what ever the numbers are. Also have PS4 but don't know how to use it. I can't even get a picture to load on it. LOL

What do you all think? What can I do better?

DSC_0031.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

DSC_0026-1.jpg

DSC_0007-1.jpg

DSC_0003-1.jpg

A friend of mine had the same cobra sweet ride. Is that a lightening?

Are you shooting RAW? You should be.

#1 the White Balance is off. Also I would think a tighter shot of the car would help here. Maybe just crop it down.

#2. The white balance is off though some people like this cold look. Your subject is centered in this pic and all the others. Use the rule of thirds to try to create a more interesting picture.

#3 The focus isn't right or the shutter speed was too low and there was some movement of the camera. There's no focus point.

#4 The tractor wheel is distracting. I think this shot would be much cooler closer up at a wider angle, like 18mm. It would make the cars look more interesting, more foreboding.

#5 The sky is over exposed.

As I mentioned with #2 look up the rule of thirds, and look up the benefits of shooting in raw. Keep shooting.

A friend of mine had the same cobra sweet ride. Is that a lightening?

I love my cobra. lol Yes thats my lightning too, its a 2000. 2nd GEN

Are you shooting RAW? You should be.

No, I thought that was bad. But after beening on the forum I have changed that already.

#1 the White Balance is off. Also I would think a tighter shot of the car would help here. Maybe just crop it down.

I need to get a tripod, i took 200 pics that night and only 5 pics came out.
#2. The white balance is off though some people like this cold look. Your subject is centered in this pic and all the others. Use the rule of thirds to try to create a more interesting picture.

Can I change the white balance or is that just in the picture taking?

#3 The focus isn't right or the shutter speed was too low and there was some movement of the camera. There's no focus point.

The car was running and I was trying to get the pulley as the focus point.

#4 The tractor wheel is distracting. I think this shot would be much cooler closer up at a wider angle, like 18mm. It would make the cars look more interesting, more foreboding.

Is that in the lens? 18mm? Or something I can do?

#5 The sky is over exposed.

As I mentioned with #2 look up the rule of thirds, and look up the benefits of shooting in raw. Keep shooting.

Also thanks for the tips!!:thumbup:

Just to be honest here man, every single shots you took look like they came out of a point and shoot cameras. If used properly, your camera can take a lot better photo.

#1, WB is way off and you need to crop it closer to the car. You need to buy a tripod. Shooting a non moving object is not that hard even with a lens kit. Just shoot it with ISO 200 or 400 with longer shutter due to low light.

#2 Always try to hide the shadow of the car. I would have shot it from the other side so you dont see as much shadow. I would also try to underexpose the car (so your background is not as blown) and use your internal flash.

#3 Another low light condition. You need a tripod on this supercharger shot. You either shot this hand held or you put it on the car while the engine is running (vibration)

#4 # 5 eehhh. You shoud try again when the sun is low.. early in the morning or later in the afternoon on all of these shots.

Just to be honest here man, every single shots you took look like they came out of a point and shoot cameras. If used properly, your camera can take a lot better photo.

Thats what I have been thinking the whole time.

#1, WB is way off and you need to crop it closer to the car. You need to buy a tripod. Shooting a non moving object is not that hard even with a lens kit. Just shoot it with ISO 200 or 400 with longer shutter due to low light.

So change the ISO is the shutter speed?

#2 Always try to hide the shadow of the car. I would have shot it from the other side so you dont see as much shadow. I would also try to underexpose the car (so your background is not as blown) and use your internal flash.

Thanks for that tip with the shadows.

#3 Another low light condition. You need a tripod on this supercharger shot. You either shot this hand held or you put it on the car while the engine is running (vibration)

Where is a good place to get a tripod?

#4 # 5 eehhh. You shoud try again when the sun is low.. early in the morning or later in the afternoon on all of these shots.

Those were the first pictures of my kids after getting back from Iraq. But I'll try taking other pictures in better light from now on.

Thanks for the heads up

Thats what I have been thinking the whole time.
I suggest reading through your manual again

So change the ISO is the shutter speed?
Go to manual mode and try this shot again. Go to aperture priorty and make sure the ISO is at 200 or 400.. nothing higher than that. Put the camera on a tripod or the ground. The camera will set the shutter speed automatically. You need to use 2 second delay on the camera so you dont move the camera. So after you press the shutter, it will shoot 2 second later when you are not touching the camera. I bet you will get good results.

Thanks for that tip with the shadows.

Where is a good place to get a tripod?
I get mine at thriftstore or craigslist

Those were the first pictures of my kids after getting back from Iraq. But I'll try taking other pictures in better light from now on.

... and I was expecting to see images of a hooded snake ...

God dammit I love Terminators.

There's a book a lot of people recommend on here Understanding Exposure. you shold read it. It sounds like you need some info on the basics like what is ISO, aperture, shutter speed, and how these things affect your photos.

Yeah, Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson is pretty good. Helps you understand the basics of SLRs.

I was expecting a car, but hoping for a snake. :lol:

Are you taking these handheld? Some of them look like the ISO was very high...
(Most apparent in #3.)

If you shot in RAW, the WB can be fixed on the computer. It's still possible to fix it if you shot JPEG, it's just not as easy. (With a RAW, all it would take is 2 or 3 clicks.)

Yeah, Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson is pretty good. Helps you understand the basics of SLRs.

I'll go get it and read it.

I was expecting a car, but hoping for a snake. :lol:

Are you taking these handheld? Some of them look like the ISO was very high...
(Most apparent in #3.)

If you shot in RAW, the WB can be fixed on the computer. It's still possible to fix it if you shot JPEG, it's just not as easy. (With a RAW, all it would take is 2 or 3 clicks.)

I thought high number ISO is what I wanted, LOL. Also thought it was better to shoot in jpeg not raw. I'm fixing all that now.

Also thanks for all the info guys

nice car, love the terminators. what size whipple is that?...what kinda power you making?

Most reactions

Back