A few sunset photos for C&C

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Unspoiled, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Unspoiled

Unspoiled TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Just by luck I found a group that goes out every month and takes sunset photos at a park by my house. I joined them this weekend and here is what I came back with.

I was real happy with these at first and my attraction has faded after looking at them over the past few days. Is that common? Does that mean I am realizing that they are not the best?

I didn't play with too much post processing. All I have is the Nikon software that came with my camera.

Here is the first. Nothing exciting here. The colors are what pulled me in to this one.
    Exif:
    Model: NIKON D90
    ISO: 100
    Exposure: 1/100 sec
    Aperture: 3.8
    Focal Length: 24mm
    Flash Used: No
    [​IMG]

I was playing with the WB on these - Cloudy set to A3
    Exif:
    ISO: 800
    Exposure: 1/60 sec
    Aperture: 8
    Focal Length: 20mm
    [​IMG]

I changed the WB to Cloudy B3 on this one. I like the blue it pulled out of the sky. The horizon is a little blown out on this one.
    Exif:
    ISO: 800
    Exposure: 1/125 sec
    Aperture: 4
    [​IMG]

This one was after everyone left. I could still see something there and wanted to play with long exposures. This is around 15 seconds.
    Exif:
    ISO: 100
    Exposure: 15 sec
    Aperture: 3.5
    [​IMG]

Thanks for the feedback!

2. bp4life71

bp4life71 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I love the pictures. I can't quote you slot of tech jargon, but I liked the shots.

3. burstintoflame81

burstintoflame81 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I like the the last three. Very nice sunsets and good dark areas as well. I think #3 is the best because I like how you can kinda still see the blue sky with white clouds, yet you have the sunset as well. It looks like the horizon is on fire. I think I just don't care for the mountain one because I am also from Gilbert and am the same way. You kinda just get used to the mountain shots and lose interest. Atleast the ones around here. I think its the fact that everything is a shade of brown.

Which park was this at?

4. Flems

Flems TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Lovely shots!

I too find myself harder on my pictures after a little time has passed. I think it's a common thing a photog experiences. We constantly take pictures and over time our expectations build. As with any other learning experience, one starts to realize the good, the bad and the ugly, all the while adding to our own expectations.

Nonetheless, I think your shots are great! :D:thumbup:

5. Unspoiled

Unspoiled TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

Thanks! I wasn't a real big fan of the first one either. That is the most color you get to see around here. Usually everything is a nice shad of brown ;)

The park is San Tan Mountain. Its a nice place. This was my first time there. Nice park and well maintained. $6 parking fee per car.

They have monthly hikes at sunset for photographers. It was a lot of fun. Most of the pointers the guide gives are pretty basic and the hike is mellow. I enjoyed it for $6.

6. Unspoiled

Unspoiled TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

Thanks for the feedback. That seems to be my case. The more I take pictures the more critical I become of myself. Also hanging out in here can be humbling. When you think you are taking good shots...someone always blows me away with some fantastic shots.

I took pictures at a wedding I was in a couple weeks ago. I thought they were OK. Not fantastic, but decent...Then I saw these and realized that I have a long way to go. These were posted in another post:
    Fotografai Aleksandras Babicius ir Irina Belcikova

Wow!

7. txphotog

txphotog TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    These are very good shots. I'm kind of fond of the last one with the beautiful colors and the stars.

8. photosoto

photosoto TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I like them! You made note you thought 2 was a little overexposed. I think there are enough cool hues to balance out what little bit may be overexposed on the horizon. i like it!

9. Stormchase

Stormchase No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Good pictures. I am from Arizona 13 years and there are some awsome skies there. Your shots show it well.

10. burstintoflame81

burstintoflame81 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I actually took some pics of Santan when I first got my camera. I did a stitched panormic shot. Looking back on them though, they all sucked :) There is a second parking lot that I don't believe charges anything. Look up a map. Its kinda north east of the main entrance. I think its off of a road called like wagon wheel or something like that. I am sure that the access is less convenient there, but you can save some money.

11. battletone

battletone TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You take a drive up Four Peaks sometime if you never have.

12. joeywpc

joeywpc TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I like # 3 the best, it holds my interest for the longest whereas 1 & 4 are a little bit generic, not as special.