a few wedding shots

Foques

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.foquesphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My lady's oldest sister got married over the last weekend (as, i'm sure, many other did), and I off course had to attend.

I really dislike monkey suits.. and new shoes..and standing for darn nearly the whole day.:)

anywho.

I was not the photographer for them, but did take some pictures.

CnC is, as always, welcome.

A different point of view, on a traditional shot..?
642738555_5rdda-XL.jpg

Bride and her victim.
642737558_UeefB-XL-1.jpg

My Lady and her two brothers
642737408_6vQY3-XL.jpg

Grandparents and newly wed
642739938_toXu5-XL.jpg

the bride. on the bottom of her dress, there is a date of the wedding.
642741797_Ho4Ux-XL.jpg

the first "official" kiss
642745308_ioq55-XL.jpg

the flower girl
642748762_4Qya5-XL.jpg

behind the scenes
642749524_Z9W7B-XL.jpg

The photographer asked groom for a serious face.. result:

642746795_zNiwp-XL.jpg

642753351_Latti-XL.jpg

642750267_s7fej-XL.jpg

643667287_w2Hej-XL.jpg

643666840_ThC82-XL.jpg

Thanks for looking.
Critique and nitpicking, and any feedback is very much welcome :)

the flower girl one is good. The rest just look like you were on the sidelines taking snapshots.

Also, dang, in the first kiss one it looks like she is attacking him!

ugh..
I, in fact, was on the sidelines :)
was trying to shoot at 200mm non-vr lens, so yeah, snapshots they are.

I think parties/weddings/events are super hard to take pictures and not have them turn out snap-shotty. I took some pictures at my gramma's birthday and I had the same issues. I got some really good ones too, so I know what I want to try to do next time. I guess it's all a "do->learn->do better" process. take the pictures you liked from this one and try to duplicate them next time.

yes sir. that is the plan.

by posting my pictures online, I can see what pictures are liked more then others, and I always welcome suggestions and recommendations.
I've learned a great deal so far thanks to feedback of people such as yourself.

Thank you for looking :)

I find that the best pictures of these things are not only well taken (ie stuff that we can control as the photographer) but also, governed by the facial expression of the subject. All of my favorites have people in them with a facial expression that tells a story. That's what I look for, and it's really hard to catch.

:hail:
someone agrees with me!!!
I am glad, i'm not the only one who looks for that.
perhaps thats why, say, 8 and 10 are my faves. they may not be focused exactly right, but they don't have those usual "cheese" smiles.

I like 1, but it really bothers me that one of the bridesmaids is looking at the camera and no one else is.

2 might have been my favorite, but the camera metered the picture off of the black suits, and therefore it's very over-exposed. it also looks motion blurred due to the slower than needed shutter speed.

5 could have been great, but her expression is very blah. kind of ruins it for me. maybe if she were posed the same, but looking down and smiling really big... that's what I see anyway.

7 is awesome. cute kid, the picture shows motion, good DOF.

remember also to give our eyes somewhere to go in the picture... if everyone is looking off to the left of the picture, it feels awkward that the picture just ends right there. think about using the rule of thirds if it works. These all look like really tight crops... maybe think about including just a little more negative space. it makes the picture more comfortable.

thank you for picking it apart. I was hoping someone would.

I need to buy me a book or two on the portraits and portrait composition. I am struggling with that. :\

that is why I find forums to be a great tool.

I don't have to beg my friends or relatives to tell me what they REALLY think.. as they tend to be a tad overprotetive of my feelings. :)

One thing I do want to say on your behalf. I am glad to see that the formals none of the people were looking at you. I take that as showing that you were standing far enough away that you were not getting their attention (this is the way uncle bob's should be) and letting their focus be on the main photographer. I have many times when shots are screwed up because half of the bridal party is looking at one person, and half is looking at the other.

I think my favorite of the set is #8 it looks like a sweet moment, and something that the photographer might have taken rather than just being taken from the side.

In addition, it seemed like most of your shots were pretty sharp and clear with decent lighting. Not bad at all (a little snapshotty, but not bad).

Well, for crits
#13, I really do not like the white vignette.
#12 the lighting is definitely not great
#2 is a definite throw away because of the blur and the faces.

thank you Nate.
That was my biggest feat that I would eff up photog's work. But when I spoke with him, he assured me that I was not causing any grief for him.

Most reactions

Back