A few Zoo shots

andrew99

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
ajwalker.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Here are a few shots from my trip to the Toronto Zoo.. Comments/Criticism appreciated! All are shot with my Nikon D40 and Sigma 50-150 f2.8. Sorry for the watermark, I am adding that to all the images I upload to flickr since there are so many cases of peoples photos being stolen from there.

2741521342_9ffc149328.jpg

2743479057_6a7eb233f5_o.jpg

2739385139_9368c997eb_b.jpg

Last edited:
I really like your tiger -- might have been a touch better if you had gotten his entire paw. The jelly is great too. I think your gator is a bit overexposed. Thanks for sharing!

Actually, I could be wrong but I think the last one is a crocodile, and I think the exposure works (At least for me) because of the DoF... I like all three but I like the first the best... The above poster was right about the paw though...

The first two are my faves. The colour of the tiger is gorgeous, especially against the green background, and it's great that it was making eye contact with you in the shot. And the jellyfish looks really good too...all those fine blue lines are nicely visible, and the dark background really sets off the colour.

Thanks guys! Appreciate all the comments!

The tiger shot is actually one of my favorite shots I've ever taken. I was watching him for a while, and he was sleeping, then he climbed onto that tree stump, and I couldn't get an interesting shot for the life of me. Suddenly he turned and looked directly at me for about 1 or 2 seconds and I was able to grab that one photo. I did cut off the bottom of his paw, though. I decided on a big crop on this photo, here is the original so you can see:

DSC_1688-Small.jpg

I have a 6 MP camera, but I think the cropped looks ok anyway (I'll let you know if I still think that after I print an 8x10 :D). I think the crop gives a much better composition, I just wish I hadn't cut off the bottom of his paw on the original!

Thanks again for all the comments!

I don't think the cut-off paw ruins it -- I just think it would have been better if the paw was all there. :) I like your crop.

The color is spectacular and it works, but theres an awful lot of blue there (unless its my monitor) that could be a tad more toward the black side.

Mark

I don't think the cut-off paw ruins it -- I just think it would have been better if the paw was all there. :) I like your crop.

Thanks!

The color is spectacular and it works, but theres an awful lot of blue there (unless its my monitor) that could be a tad more toward the black side.

Mark

You know, you're right! It was bugging me also, but somehow I managed to force myself to ignore it, haha! I just fixed it, and re-uploaded it to flickr. That broke the original link, so now the corrected version is in the original post at the top of the thread.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back