A first time with mostly Flash - C&C Appreciated

camz

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok so here's the background. We had a scheduled engagement shoot that got pushed. By the time we began the sun was going down fast and we didn't have enough light to go ambient. So I decided to test the Flex TT5 flash triggers yesterday with barely any practice with the new equipment(just got them). Most of the actual shoot was shot with flash connected to a light stick triggered by the Pocket Wizards. I usually don't use these til the reception part but we had no choice it was just too dark. This is my first time shooting all flash in yeeeears so would love to get your feedback b/c I do feel like a novice all over. Btw the couple are somewhat conservative so we didn't do any crazy poses or anything. Somewhat traditional. Would love to hear out your opinions and advice.

3983309038_567da2116e_o.jpg

3982547633_b6fee7df89_o.jpg

3982547681_91f77d8956_o.jpg

3983309112_ffc9aefcf7_o.jpg

3982547663_1b37a85f0c_o.jpg

3983309062_cea85c2e00_o.jpg

3983309134_1ed00a46a4_o.jpg

3982547741_a0eb5da008_o.jpg

3983309182_ec3b8f4230_o.jpg

Just like always, they are fabulous!

Thanks Kristal!

One of the few things that's bothering me though are the shadow casts. I think if I ever go through this experience again I might need two flashes to counter such casting or angle the single flash stick along side with the camera. But we only had an hour of shoot time and setting two light sources would definitely hinder the limited duration. And having the flash angled with the camera just makes horrible details(Might as well stick the flash in the Camera's hot shoe). It such a pain to be a strobist :lol:

There are a few more things too but I'll let the strobists point that out..lol

You called this flashed photography??? They look they were shot with ambient light!!!! lol I really like the first couple. It seem like number 6 and number 9 is a little underexpose and number 6 seem the flash is a little too direct at her face.

IMHO 6 sucks. Sorry but something in this photo makes me very hate it.
I like the rest of photos. Especially 4 and 9;) They have nice colours that work well with the main subject.

They all look great...#1 is kinda distracting as it looks like the vine is growing out of the side of his head.

Schumion - Well I didn't kill the ambient. There was ambient included in the metering and flash to balance or used as fill.

Thanks for the comments people!

One of the few things that's bothering me though are the shadow casts. I think if I ever go through this experience again I might need two flashes to counter such casting or angle the single flash stick along side with the camera. But we only had an hour of shoot time and setting two light sources would definitely hinder the limited duration. And having the flash angled with the camera just makes horrible details(Might as well stick the flash in the Camera's hot shoe). It such a pain to be a strobist :lol:

I was going to point this out until reading your response heh heh. I'm not fond of dog pics in general but u got some good ones ( try entering spca calender ? ) . #9 her for head seems to be a tad bit too blurred for my personal taste. Still for just one flash now that's inspiring :p

I was going to point this out until reading your response heh heh. I'm not fond of dog pics in general but u got some good ones ( try entering spca calender ? ) . #9 her for head seems to be a tad bit too blurred for my personal taste. Still for just one flash now that's inspiring :p

Hey Oc! Nah I've never tried to go for the SPCA lol. In my opinion a flash on a monopod is probably the most versatile light source one could have for an on location shoot w/ an assistant offcourse to hold it. Actually two flashes at half power (faster cycles - longer capacity) on a monopod is even better. I typically have this setup for dark reception halls only and it just so happens this shoot all things went wrong as far as timing. It does wonders and it's cheap and easy to setup - my kinda ordeal :lol:

You've captured the love between the couple very well. Great images.

Thanks Yummie ;)

Schumion - Well I didn't kill the ambient. There was ambient included in the metering and flash to balance or used as fill.

Thanks for the comments people!

I know, I was messing with you cause you usually shoot all ambient :).

I love the composition in #9 but I feel like there skin tones are a little orange in most. 1 and 5 the skin tones look good.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back