A Flow on the rocks

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
photoparsec.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A place I found while driving through the hills, I nearly fell in the water trying to take some of these shots.

Modified 10/13/2007 12:32:46 PM
Exposure time 1/10
F number 22
Exposure program Manual
ISO speed ratings 100
Exposure bias 0
Metering mode Multi
Flash Flash off
Lens focal length 18
Color space information sRGB
Exposure mode Manual
White balance Manual WB
Focal length in 35 mm film 27
Scene capture type Standard
Sharpness Normal

Waterfalls3.jpg

you must of had really bad lighting. these shots you've posted look really bland, you can do better, just wait till you have good lighting!

I understand that the russhing water shouldnt be in focus. But nothing in this picture is. It's also underexposed, uninteresting, and the color is bad. Woke on those things and this could "Could" be interesting.

I like the bottom half! Not so much the top half.

I like the bottom half! Not so much the top half.

If people only like the bottom half then this picture should be thrown away, because a picture isn't olny supposed to be "liked" in a small section of the photo.

Start again, with your new knowledge

Of course. You don't judge a picture based on just one section. But I was just saying that they were doing somethings right in the bottom half of picture.

Of course. You don't judge a picture based on just one section. But I was just saying that they were doing somethings right in the bottom half of picture.

No it was nothing against you

a5i736, you give all this harsh advice but i haven't seen any good pictures from you. no offense, but maybe encourage people rather then break them down and tell them how uninteresting their photos are. try to be nice sometime.

TX JXJ, I am a little bit frustrated because I'm being told what I'm doing wrong, but there are a few people who pick at the photos without offering any real advice to how I can take a better shot, other than just saying the shot is underexposed, out of focus.

Firstly it was extremely difficult to get anything in focus with a shutter speed of 1/10 it was a little bit breezy, so everything was moving. I also thought the rock in centre would be focussed a little bit better with f22.

It was an overcast day and it wasn't too bright, I couldn't find a way to get more of the falls in the shot, and less of the background.

I can take criticism, and I want it, afterall, I've only been learning to take photographs for the last two weeks. It would be good however if people just didn't say the photos are bad and tell me whats wrong with them. I always put all the exif data in with the shot, and I would love to get some feedback on my settings. Telling me the shot is underexposed with no explanation does nothing to help me improve my shots.

Well, I think that all of your settings are spot on. I think that the angle or composition could be better. While this may not have been possible I would suggest an angle from further down the stream looking up it more.

you must of had really bad lighting. these shots you've posted look really bland, you can do better, just wait till you have good lighting!

Ah, bad lighting is compensated for by good exposure, a tripod, flash or reflector and it certainly does NOT at all cause a photo to look bland. Take a look at composition, joey.

This is not a case of bad lighting. Exposure could have been better with a faster shutterspeed and fstop more around f.5.6. The background areas are underexposed, but could be improved in postprocessing. The water is also too green and I would try to reduce that in Photoshop as well through colour editing.

skieur

Well, I think that all of your settings are spot on. I think that the angle or composition could be better. While this may not have been possible I would suggest an angle from further down the stream looking up it more.

Well, if the settings are "spot on" why are the highlights blown out in the white part of the water and why is detail lacking in the background due to underexposure? Obviously the settings need to be changed.

skieur

a5i736, you give all this harsh advice but i haven't seen any good pictures from you. no offense, but maybe encourage people rather then break them down and tell them how uninteresting their photos are. try to be nice sometime.

You need to learn a lot more about photography before you become so judgemental, joey. a5i736 is taking the correct approach by giving an honest, straightforward critique. Encouragement comes from within. Don't expect it to come from elsewhere.

skieur

Take a look at the guidelines for CRITIQUE.

skieur

So how do I take this shot with the blur in the water with a quick shutter setting? What settings should I use if I were to take this same shot again?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back