A Fond Farewell to One and All.

A series of simple distractions is all that is in order to cover up the transaction. I would start by purchasing one of those wicker baskets filled with soaps and jams. Next, purchase her a bracelet or some ear rings (not too expensive, but expensive enough to make her wonder). After she tells you that you shouldn't have, the next question will be how much did you spend on it. You may then "set the hook" by calling her nosy in a joking fashion, follow up by informing her that she'll never know because you are going to hide this months visa bill.

You may have shipping complications because some companies will only deliver product to the address on your credit card. It is helpful to have an "arrangement" with your local courier service in order for the package to be rerouted to your office. I work in two offices and the drawers of them are littered with lens and gear boxes.

Finally, you must consider the introduction. You will most likely bring the lens home and be excited to use it. Go ahead and whip it out!....take a snap of that fat lazy squirrel in the back yard. Make sure she sees you... she will ask about it.... appear somewhat inconvenienced by it's size.... with a grimaced face inform her the lens came with the camera and that you never really use it because it's lumbersome...

This will most likely work, but I would caution you to watch her face closely. Any forward movement should be interpreted as threatening and you should just run. I recommend having some emergency gear in the trunk of your car. Nothing special..... just enough to get you by...... some memory cards, spare batteries, a variety of zooms and primes, tripod, and an extra pair of jeans. IMPORTANT: Make sure before you enter the house that you roll down the rear drivers windows and scatter some blankets on the rear seat. You will need a place to toss the 400mm on your get away.

You may guffah at the idea of buying her some jewelry. Normally this is not required and a simple wicker basket with soaps and jams will suffice. However, due to the expense of your purchase any reasonable expense to bring it home is justifiable.

Good Luck!! Suicide is NOT an option. There is no scientific evidence of camera shops in heaven.

loooooooooooool I will save this for my reference for future purchases :lmao:

Congrats on the new toy Gryph!!! Can't wait to see some less threatening pics. ;)

I did the same thing last may ( bought a 400 f/2.8). She still hasn't seen it or knows I have it :lol:. Still I'm not worried i'm just making a case that she is oblivious to what is important in my life and for her its all about "me";)

magic words are: Hermes, Prada, LV, Gucci

Problem being, after those brands, I can't afford lens :(

Just make sure they are genuine - not knock-offs.

Respectfully I must disagree on the magic words for they are good but not magic. I found the magic words. 2-week vacation in Hawaii. Eyes glazed over, big grin, and it shut her up..............................for a minute. Those are magic words.

Seems I neglected to mention the cost of taking the gear with me with the new weight restrictions and all, but that can wait till later.:mrgreen:

Well I got the thing on a week ago last Friday and snapped the two quick shots I posted. Had to go out of town for the weekend and had no chance to take anything else. The whole of last week was either rainy or I was busy. Finally got to shoot a little sports. Ok, it's just practice, but it is for the team that I shoot for. Four quick shots, all at f2.8.

#1 Little before 7:00 a.m. still under the lights. 3200 ISO, 1/250 shutter speed in TV mode. Cropped & re-sized with a little noise reduction. This is one of the things Coach does best is teach. Working with the freshman QB.
practicegy7.jpg

The rest are at 200 ISO, f2.8, in manual from afternoon practice. About 5:30 p.m. Just cropped & re-sized.

#2. After the catch.
practice1rs0.jpg

#3Calling the play.
practice2bf5.jpg

#4. In the clear.
practice3nx2.jpg

All in all, I think the lens is a keeper. I will be glad when the season starts in two weeks though.

Nice, I like the last one.

Consider setting your camera to -1/3 or even -2/3 EV, you seem to be over-exposing slightly.

I love that lens.

I ended up getting the 300mm instead, both because it's cheaper and because it's smaller and lighter (easier to lug to games where tripods aren't allowed).

But one day...

Nice, I like the last one.

Consider setting your camera to -1/3 or even -2/3 EV, you seem to be over-exposing slightly.

I will give it a try, but I am not sure. Granted I have been busy (translates to lazy) and have not re-calibrated my monitor in 2 weeks. But when I printed them they were dead on.

If it was the blow out on the helmets, keep in mind this was between 5 & 6 p.m. with them facing north. The low sun was shining directly on their silver, yes silver helmets. Getting rid of that blowout would have resulted in very underexposed photos.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back