A friend of mine lost 100+ lbs

rexbobcat

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
When he was younger he was given antidepressants for the deep depression he was experiencing. At first they did help, but at the time he was also taking Chinese herbal supplements, which interacted with the medication. This caused a misdiagnosis of bi-polar disorder and a cocktail of drugs. Compounded with a quickly deteriorating relationship, these drugs, which would prove to be unnecessary overall, led to psychosis, severe weight gain, suicide ideation and attempt, and hospitalization/institutionalization.

Eventually, he found a doctor who was more scrupulous toward his medical history, and he was weened off all medication. Soon after, once he was in a much healthier state of mind, he moved across the country to get a fresh start.

Now he's studying health and nutrition at the Southern California Health Institute in the hopes of inspiring others to take control of their health.

_MG_1509.jpg

2. I know his fingers are cut off, but he's so animated all the time with soooo much energy. I wanted to try and show that, even at the expense of technical perfection.
_MG_1520-Edit.jpg

_MG_1523.jpg

_MG_1544-Edit.jpg

_MG_1681.jpg

_MG_1909.jpg

_MG_2010-Edit.jpg

8. He had one of those vape thingamajigs so we wanted to see if it was opaque enough to the flash to illuminate it lol
_MG_2017-Edit.jpg

_MG_2042-Edit.jpg

Last edited:
Great photo's Rex. Really glad he's pulling through. I've seen more people damaged by meds than I wanted too.

Great photo's Rex. Really glad he's pulling through. I've seen more people damaged by meds than I wanted too.

Well thank you.

Yeah, it's really sad. They can be a very helpful - and sometimes essential - part of psychiatric treatment, but they are so over-prescribed that they often cause more problems than they solve.

For every person with schizophrenia who requires medication to be able to go about their life, it seems like there are 10 who have been hurt by the flippant prescribing of meds without the requisite followup or therapy.

Last edited:
My grandson is there now; 19 years old, lots of medicine, gaining weight, no ambition.

Well thank you.

Yeah, it's really sad. They can be a very helpful - and sometimes essential - part of psychiatric treatment, but they are so over-prescribed that they often cause more problems than they solve.

For every person with schizophrenia who requires medication to be able to go about their life, it seems like there are 10 who have been hurt by the flippant prescribing of meds without the requisite followup or therapy.
Those drugs are very dangerous as they mess with neuron receptors in the brain. Often, patients are miss-diagnosed and can prove to be tragic as your friend found out. Drugs should be the last resort and often times, 2 or 3 opinions should be considered. People tend to forget that Doctors are considered a practice and often times, they practice on you. These drugs are serious stuff and often, drug companies and doctors, are not held accountable.

Your friend was lucky he survived. Many don't or they end up hurting someone else.

Nice photo set!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

#6 is absolutely terrific. You've captured his playful spirit, and the pose is fun and whimsical. Love the contrast, too. Great job!

Drugs are bad full stop. I am willing to bet a healthy diet and exercise can cure 90% of mental issues, especially depression. But folks want a quick and easy solution these days.

Drugs are bad full stop. I am willing to bet a healthy diet and exercise can cure 90% of mental issues, especially depression. But folks want a quick and easy solution these days.

I think it really depends on how/where the illness originated. If the depression is situational (Ie: family death, relocation, etc...) then medication is like killing a fly with a flamethrower much of the time.

But if the mental illness has a genetic precursor and is chronic, that makes it difficult to treat using solely holistic methods.

Generally medication isn't/shouldn't be a cure, but instead it works best at mitigating symptoms so the person has the full faculties to more effectively seek out and work on their treatment.

Last edited:
#6 is absolutely terrific. You've captured his playful spirit, and the pose is fun and whimsical. Love the contrast, too. Great job!

Thanks terri! He's quite a character, a self-described hippy who loves tie-dye and The Grateful Dead haha.

Really great set!!! I bet he loved them. :)

He kinda look like Robbin William on the second photo.

Most reactions

Back