A fun car shoot w/ my buddies. A few to C&C and the rest to view!

matt62485

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well, finally had a decent (while somewhat chilly) day off. So finally cleaned up my car and had a couple buddies meet up for a little photoshoot.

Heres a couple I'd like C&C on, I'm trying to get better shooting cars, it's quite difficult!

And I'm still having an issue w/ noise, especially the first one posted below.... @ iso200, its still pretty grainy.. granted this is after PP... the original is grainy as well :blushing:

#5 is an HDR attempt. #6 is the view off the parking deck we were on :mrgreen:

The Scion tC is my car

1. playin w/ my flash for the first time really... working on reflections and such, but I liked this one regardless of the hotspots :confused:

4301262466_5cec7a317d_b.jpg

4301257838_4238294f74_b.jpg

4299334464_d88e1025ae_b.jpg

4298510815_e510ecd1d1_b.jpg

4300514657_195b6bbf71_b.jpg

4300512623_10e54b2737_b.jpg

Geez these are all very nice. I gotta say I love number 6 the most. The sailboat really wraps the rest of the image together (along with the bridge of course) nice work.

Geez these are all very nice. I gotta say I love number 6 the most. The sailboat really wraps the rest of the image together (along with the bridge of course) nice work.

thanks a lot. #6 is one of my favorite pix I've taken :D

Other than the obvious hotspots i think #1 is just fine, I could nitpick but since you're new to it, it's just fine, even though you didn't want it, #8 seems to be one of your stronger pics ;) a little editing and take out the yellow on the door and it's be a nice sig or something

Other than the obvious hotspots i think #1 is just fine, I could nitpick but since you're new to it, it's just fine, even though you didn't want it, #8 seems to be one of your stronger pics ;) a little editing and take out the yellow on the door and it's be a nice sig or something

thanks. but please. nitpick. it wont hurt my feelings, i need/want to hear it. i feel like my pix have come so far since june and its b/c of people "nitpicking" and me beating myself to death and my own worst critic.

i admit my car photos arent my strongest but gotta start somewhere :mrgreen:

#8 is a good pic. You framed it right as if thr car would have room to drive and stau in frame. Some of thr others look like they are about to drive out of it.

#8 is a good pic. You framed it right as if thr car would have room to drive and stau in frame. Some of thr others look like they are about to drive out of it.

thanks. :lol: guess i ever looked at it like that. is that a car photography rule of thumb? :blushing:

:lol: yes you want to create a sense of motion, even if it's not there, and if you're taking pictures of a car moving, ie. rolling shot, rig shot, action shot, the same holds true

i will do a little nitpicking on #1, but I'm editing a huge batch of photos, just taking a break on tpf, so i'll just do that one but the text could hold true for many other photos

Nitpicking: Shot #1

The Good: The wheels are straight, this works because the car shot is a full side picture, this should be the only case (and 90 degrees either way also) when they should be straight, the wheels should face the camera.

Exposure is overall, pretty good, it's hard with a dark car and a place with so-so lighting to get the car fully exposed correctly, but you did a decent job lighting the car and the wheels

The bad: Leave more room between the wall and the car, the distance will bring more emphasis on the car

The parking lines, even if you have to pp them out, they seemingly make the picture a little sloppy, we KNOW it's a parking garage, but "Dont want to know it's a parking garage" if that makes sense

The obvious glare and reflections/ hotspots, circular polarizer? maybe a different position, when I take a picture i have started to position my car, go where I want to take the picture, put some thought to it, then see if i have bad reflections, something growing out of the car or something is off

The column is a little distracting, that may have been the only open place to make the picture worthwhile with lighting and all, but it's an obvious different/distracting color growing out of your hood

Not that it's a bad thing, but maybe try and get a tad bit lower on the shot, i would shoot for being the height of the tires, you're about a foot higher than that if i'm seeing it correctly

Like i said in my original post, the picture isn't necessarily BAD, but it can be improved upon, keep at it, remember a few basic rules and keep shooting

Rule of thirds, wheels face camera, shooting at standing height is boring, get high or get low, lighting is key try for natural when possible, keep an eye on your light meter, watch for things "growing out of your car" have fun and be creative

:lol: yes you want to create a sense of motion, even if it's not there, and if you're taking pictures of a car moving, ie. rolling shot, rig shot, action shot, the same holds true

i see what you mean, guess i never really thought about it like that. i like the t/a shot #2 though, for me... it works with it being on that side of the frame :confused:

i will do a little nitpicking on #1, but I'm editing a huge batch of photos, just taking a break on tpf, so i'll just do that one but the text could hold true for many other photos

Nitpicking: Shot #1

The Good: The wheels are straight, this works because the car shot is a full side picture, this should be the only case (and 90 degrees either way also) when they should be straight, the wheels should face the camera.

yea ive always been anal about having my wheels show in pics, this is one "rule" ive tried to hold true to

Exposure is overall, pretty good, it's hard with a dark car and a place with so-so lighting to get the car fully exposed correctly, but you did a decent job lighting the car and the wheels

thanks, i tried. first time w/ flash and first time attempting in a parking deck. my car is worse to shoot than full black :thumbdown:

The bad: Leave more room between the wall and the car, the distance will bring more emphasis on the car

well... i actually tried that, the way the lights are scattered throughout the ceiling in the deck, there was horrible hotspots and reflections, unbearable. out of 4-5 times trying to find a decent spot... i gave up, this was the best shot of the bunch.

perhaps a different parking deck is in order :mrgreen:

The parking lines, even if you have to pp them out, they seemingly make the picture a little sloppy, we KNOW it's a parking garage, but "Dont want to know it's a parking garage" if that makes sense

yea, I could try to PP em out. I didn't think the pic was strong enough to bother honestly :blushing:

The obvious glare and reflections/ hotspots, circular polarizer? maybe a different position, when I take a picture i have started to position my car, go where I want to take the picture, put some thought to it, then see if i have bad reflections, something growing out of the car or something is off

i think i just need to find another parking deck. my buddy whos been shooting for years was helping me and we both agreed it was the best spot. while i fully agree w/ you though, my car reflects everything... not to mention i just gave it wax

The column is a little distracting, that may have been the only open place to make the picture worthwhile with lighting and all, but it's an obvious different/distracting color growing out of your hood

i agree. it sucks, the way the lighting/deck is made up, theres a column for every set of lights width wise. probably where they ran conduit :thumbdown:

Not that it's a bad thing, but maybe try and get a tad bit lower on the shot, i would shoot for being the height of the tires, you're about a foot higher than that if i'm seeing it correctly

ill give it a shot next time. normally im all over the place... laying down, standing on something tall, etc. i was engulfed in trying to get my flash right, made for a boring shot :blushing:

Like i said in my original post, the picture isn't necessarily BAD, but it can be improved upon, keep at it, remember a few basic rules and keep shooting

Rule of thirds, wheels face camera, shooting at standing height is boring, get high or get low, lighting is key try for natural when possible, keep an eye on your light meter, watch for things "growing out of your car" have fun and be creative

thanks. i rarely ever shoot at standing height, im short enough i could get away w/ it though :confused: 5'7", lol. ive gotten 100% better while shooting my car, but i have 500% to improve on... so its a work in progress. something about the metallic gesture of my car makes it such a PITA to perfect. i shot my buddies black car a few weeks ago and IMO it came out much better

Thanks for taking your time to help me out, I'll keep this stuff in mind for the next time :thumbup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back