A Good College for Photography

The two I hear the most about are Brooks and, of course, Rochester Institute of Technology. From what I hear, Brooks focuses on only the technical, ignoring any artistic aspects, though that may have been due to my friend's specific major. I'm not really sure what they offer. RIT has a wide variety of majors to get involved in, including Photojournalism, Advertising, and Fine Art. Both are really good at what they do.

I know a talented and successful photographer went to RIT, he said he loved it there, if thats any help. You pay through the nose though.

Im thinking of doing the NYIP program from home in my spare time the good thing about it is that you can go at your own pace. I got some info on it and it can take anywhere from 6 months to 3 years to finish it. for under $1,000 it seems worth the practical experience if you need it (like me :lol: )

Oh Vonnagy if your looking for something thats not in Invercargill :roll: the polytechs in NZ do a program that goes from Certificate to Degree in applied arts, which applies to photography. Dont know if thats any help to ya though. I dont know if you need to go to one though you "Amateur"

Im thinking of doing the NYIP program from home in my spare time the good thing about it is that you can go at your own pace. I got some info on it and it can take anywhere from 6 months to 3 years to finish it. for under $1,000 it seems worth the practical experience if you need it (like me )

Whats NYIP?

Whats NYIP?

Just add a dot com at the end, matie ;)

Its a correspondense course, quite good. My dad took ages and ages ago and there are a few folks from the forum are now as well. Highly recommended as far as correspondense courses go :)

Oh Vonnagy if your looking for something thats not in Invercargill the polytechs in NZ do a program that goes from Certificate to Degree in applied arts, which applies to photography. Dont know if thats any help to ya though. I dont know if you need to go to one though you "Amateur"

:mrgreen: lol, well i ain't not movin' to invercargill ;) I saw a few ones offered at AUT and UNITEC here, I am going to see if they offer weekend or night courses. I want to learn to play with chemicals in the darkroom! :drunk:

vonnagy said:
there are a few folks from the forum are now as well. Highly recommended as far as correspondense courses go :)
Really? I'm intrigued. Does anyone know how much tuition runs? They don't have that info on the website. Does anyone who is taking the course have any comments? They would be much appreciated.

I think a lot more people here are taking the NYIP course than you realize. Browsing through the Photo Themes thread turns up subject headers that exactly match the first few courses/projects assigned to you. Coincendence maybe but it made me smile.

I took the course about 8-9 years ago, failing to complete the last 2 projects though as life seemed to have gotten in the way at the time. I'd recommend the course to anyone. It teaches the basics right off the bat that some might already know but it's still one of those things that even a pro would learn from. I learned a lot and had a lot of fun as the projects/lessons make you go out and shoot something in a specific manner.

It's a very well rounded course that makes you use your camera in every way possible and for me unlocked some talents and styles I never knew I had or enjoyed doing. After a hiatus from photography for a few years and just now getting back into the swing of things I'm considering doing it again for the fun factor and a little motivation.

As far as tuition costs, I can't remeber for the life of me but about $1000 (not more though) sounds about right. I remember doing payments for about 6 months...........

Most reactions

New Topics

Back