a good DSLR

Rob A

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
photobucket.com
hey guys, im thinking of buying a DSLR (it would probably be second hand) and i was wandering which one you would reccomend!! id like it to be pretty versatile for landscape, closeups etc... but also, not a top of the range one as i dont hae THAT much money!!

thanks for any help!!

The best value is probably the Canon Digital Rebel (D300). It has a great sensor and can use any of Canon's EF lenses. It lacks a few advanced features but there is a firmware hack available that will "unlock" some of the features. This would be my recommendation. You may be able to find some used ones because people are upgrading...but you may find yourself wanting to upgrade someday too.

For a little more money, the Nikon D70 is a great camera. Also has a great sensor and has a few more features.

The discontinued Canon 10D has the same sensor as the Digital Rebel but is a more advanced body. You may be able to find a good deal on a used one.

The successor to the 10D is the 20D. Better sensor and some other improvements as well but it's more expensive.

Yeah, what he said! ;)

Nikon D70 or Canon Digital Rebel are probably the two best choices for quality while trying to limit the cost.

If you already own any glass from Canon or Nikon, I'd suggest considering staying with the same manufacturer when you purchase the DSLR body.

Have you already done some looking around for cameras that have caught your eye?

no, iv not had a proper look yet. i noticed the 20D (or D20) in a shop in chester earlier today, but that was quite expensive! i have a digital camera, but its just one of those family, compact cameras that are smaller than your bank card!

im going to look into the D70 and digital rebel!! they look good ones and arnt to expensive!! thanks for your input both of you!!

oh yeh, sorry i posted in the wrong forum! i know now for next time!! :D

thanks!

Keep in mind to consider the cost of lenses if one isn't already included with your purchase. A good one can significantly increase the cost of your setup.

i have a carl zeiss jenna zoom on my olympus OM40, would this fit on a Nikon D70, or do you have to get special lenses?

are most lenses universal?

thanks

What a timely thread :)

I just got back from looking at DSLRs but so far all I have had my hands on is the D70. I currenly use a Canon AE-1 and want to move to Digital so I have been looking to try out a D70, D20 and D300.

The D70 with kit lens, flash (model ending in 600 I think) and a bag was going to be around $1500 or so USD at the store I was at today.

I am not ready to pull the trigger yet but hope to soon.

Most of them are specific to the manufacturer. I don't know about the one you mentioned, but my guess is that it won't be compatible with other makes.

Hopefully someone can confirm whether or not that is the case.

Rob A said:
i have a carl zeiss jenna zoom on my olympus OM40, would this fit on a Nikon D70, or do you have to get special lenses?

are most lenses universal?

Each camera is designed to work with it's own manufacturer's lenses (Canon with Canon etc.). The mounting brackets are not universal so you can not mount one type of lens onto another type of camera. They do make adapters but it's probably best not to bother with that. There are some third party companies that make lenses specifically for Canon or Nikon etc. Sigma & Tamron are two of the best.

Lenses can be expensive. In fact, it would be a good idea to invest more money in lenses than in a camera body. The good thing is that you don't have to buy expensive lenses right off the bat. You can use the kit lens or a consumer level lens and then upgrade at a later time.

Do Canon and Nikon use the same fitment through their range? From manual lenses to automatic lenses to digital? I think I heard that I did. I know Minolta use the same lenses for digital and auto-focus film cameras, but their MD lenses only fit MD bodies. If they do, you will be able to find an adaptor but you may lose focus to infinity. Download the latest catalogue from www.srbfilm.co.uk and have a look. They may be able to make a custom one for you to. If you're really happy with your lens and it focuses to infinity, you'd be mad to let it go in my opinion.

One side note, I've never seen anyone say this about buying a second hand slr, only when buying a second hand dslr, ask how many times the shutter has been used. They're rated for a set number and after that can lose performance.

thanks for all of yur input guys!! but which is the more reliable make in generall? canon or nikon? im torn between the 2 now!! :?

That is a tough question that I'm really not sure there is a clear answer for. Nikon fans are likely to say Nikon, and Canon fans are likely to say Canon.

I believe there is very little difference between the two. If you have the opportunity, go into a shop that carries both of them and see which one feels more comfortable to you.

ferny said:
Do Canon and Nikon use the same fitment through their range?

Canon does not. Older, manual focus lenses are designated FD while all the lenses for the auto focus cameras are designated EF. They are not cross compatible. However, EF lenses & EOS cameras have been around since 1988 so they are plentiful. All EF lenses will work with both film & digital EOS cameras.

I do believe that Nikon has some compatibility with older manual lenses but I don't know much about Nikon.

Rob,
Don't be worried too much about Nikon Vs Canon...they are basically the same. It's like Ford vs General Motors...or Coke vs Pepsi. People have their favorites and will argue about it until they are blue in the face...but they all basically do the same thing.

Go to a store and handle the cameras. Choose the one that feels the best in your hands.

cool, thanks. i found out the shop near me has a canon 300D in and also a second hand nikon D70 so ill chek them out!! thanks guys!

Good advise here already, but you might consider looking at the Pentax *istDs as well.

Any quality dslr will shoot better pics than most people need. It's mostly a matter of personal preference- features, ergonomics, accessories etc.

Can't really go wrong at all.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back