A good subject ??

Discussion in 'Critique Forum Archives' started by Rod-UK, Jun 17, 2005.

1. Rod-UK

Rod-UK TPF Noob!

On one of the posts recently the author seemed not impressed with flowers as a subject for photography, thought they were boring.
    (I don't remember who it was)

Perhaps if he/she reads this they would like to offer some critique.

For myself, I find the colour and texture of this bloom really interesting and there is a certain challenge in capturing the reality with a camera

The plant is one of the many Clematis (wisley) and the flower measures 130mm across

Attached Files:

2. JonMikal

JonMikal TPF Noob!

nice shot.

two things; i'm undecided about the sharpness. imo it's either a bit too sharp or about to be...or it could be my monitor. second, the vine just off to the left of the petal is somewhat distracting.

all in all though a fine shot with nice color!

edit: i keep going back and leaving with different opinions of the sharpness. at times it's dead on; at others it's too much. oh well........bottom line is whether you're happy with it. are you?

3. Chase

Chase I am now benign! Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I think this is a great image. Color and exposure look really great, awesome detail. I don't really have any suggestions on this. If you ever get bored, maybe try cropping a little more of the surrounding frame to really fill the whole photo with the flower, but even that isn't going to make a huge difference. I really like it!

4. Rod-UK

Rod-UK TPF Noob!

Thanks for the comments.

Although I have software to increase sharpness (other than PS) it was not used.
    The only alterations were to remove a small bud and crop to size.

The shot was taken with a Sigma SD9 in medium resolution, using a 105mm lens at f2.8 and 1/1000sec ISO400

5. maxbennett

maxbennett TPF Noob!

I know that I wasn't the person in the past who said that flowers are boring, but I most definitely agree. I beleive they are shot way too often, and almost always the exact same angle (the one shown above). Could you please explain to me what exactly "reality" is in terms of a flower? Weather or not it looks real? What is wrong with a flower looking fake? Perhaps a challenge would be to not to capture the reality, but to capture the fantasy of the flower - make it look like something different.

How can it be hard to capture reality? Reality is so un-creative - as are flower shots.

PS

Remember, this was in the critique forum, so I gave you some critique. I hope you take it seriously.

6. ajmall

ajmall TPF Noob!

that's crisp especially at 400iso. i'm not a huge flower fan but i like it

7. kilifila66

kilifila66 TPF Noob!

This is a great example of an eye for propper DOF, I like the sharpness and exposure as well.

8. Rod-UK

Rod-UK TPF Noob!

In the first instance it’s a personal choice whether you draw, paint or photograph a subject. Its self evident that I like flowers as a subject for photography, there’s such a vast range of colours, textures and environments to choose from, all of which I find interesting and often challenging, challenging in the sense of trying to capture on camera the trueness of what one sees.

But that’s not all I shoot !!

Regarding the angle of the shot, it’s the only one that does justice to the bloom.

In terms of reality, I’m not sure I understand the point you are trying to make.
    Are you suggesting one should attempt to capture the fantasy of a flower with a camera something like the ‘Impressionist painters’ did, for instance Monet, Renoir, Cezanne etc.

If so please elaborate and give some examples.
    However, I for one, would not be interested in work that could only be achieved in PS or any other photo software. It would have to be done with the minimum of modifications, only altering contrast, simple cropping etc.

Thanks for the interest and views

9. maxbennett

maxbennett TPF Noob!

What I am saying is that it is possible to catch something other than the reality of a flower - without modifying the photo digitaly. As far as colors go, there aren't very many, there's usually only one or two - vibrant- yes, various- not usually. Perhaps it would be 'creative' to shoot a crowd of flowers- except with one misfit (dead, bigger, different color). There are a million things you can do, but you never see anything like that, just the same old "mugshot" flower photo, which - unless you are a 'fan' of that particular flower - is no more than a picture of a pillow.. or something.

I can compare this to skateboard photos, something which I shoot a lot of (the main reason I got a job, saved up for half a year and dropped it all on a D70s). Sure, you can just sit there taking a photo of the coolest guy doing the coolest trick, but only skateboarders who know the person, or the place they're doing it really care. Something that lately I have been trying to do is capture something other than just skateboarding. I'll give you an example (this is not my photo - it's one of my favourite skate photog's photos):

[​IMG]

Photo: Ryan Gee

I realize that this photographer is a profesional, and he probably got 20-30 photos before the skateboarder (Chris Cole) landed it (allowing him to think of new angles for every shot), but perhaps that leaves room for inspiration - that's why you posted this in the critique forum.

-Max

10. zedin

zedin TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Is the really thin black border on the petals from the 1'oclock to 3'oclock position really there or an artifact from PS? Just looks a bit fake but if it really was like that then so be it =p

11. Rod-UK

Rod-UK TPF Noob!

Max

Your point about looking for the essence of a subject made me go back and have another look at the flower this morning.
    It was fine and sunny, I took about thirty shots from different positions and at different aperture priorities.

I selected two which may address your point 'the essence of the flower'
    In both the literal and metaphorical sense.

They were both taken with 105mm macro lens, ISO200 and the camera set for medium resolution. one was f11; 1/180sec the other was f2.8; 1/1500sec. There have been no adjustments other than cropping and changing from a 4MB RAW file to a 85KB Jpeg

As for Ryan Gee's shot, other than a competent photograph, it does nothing for me.

All we can do is agree to differ in the way that we see and photograph the world.

Attached Files:

12. luckydog

luckydog TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I much prefer the last two photos you posted. I don't mind flower pics and sometimes I have been seen climbing into gardens to get a shot. The first one is not as exciting because it's the same angle that we view most flowers, where the latter two show the intricacies, complexities and a in a way the personality of the flower (if that's possible) :)