A greater way of advertising?

From personal experience I would recommend SEO, but it is not right for everyone. The easiest thing to do is start a Pay-Per-Click campaign on Google Adwords (make sure to turn off content ads...they don't do much good for us photographers and cost a ton of money). Also facebook ads have done well for me too.

Word of mouth is the best for getting the gig...if you're contacted. If someone recommends anyone for any service and speaks highly of their work, it's usually a done deal. The thing to remember with this is, it's very rare that your previous client will be close enough to someone who is getting married. And if they are close to someone to voice their great opinion of you...there are other friends of that person too, who have been married or know of other photographers.

When word of mouth is very good is for bar mitzvahs! you are photographing an entire room of kids who will be having their day very soon! I don't shoot those events, but it's an idea I had.

I pulled all advertising; I lost a lot of money, even though it got me a few gigs, but hardly worth all the marketing dollars lost. I'm going with the website, SEO, facebook, word of mouth. Still no calls at all and I have come to terms with it. The economy is bad and let's face it, there are way too many people out there trying to do this...most of them beginners with a camera from best buy and a pc. I have chalked it up to...it is what it is. I can't stress out over something I can't control. I have 3 booked for this year. Last year was maybe 8 and the year before...14 roughly.

I did get bulk emailing from a friend who went to wedding expos. I gave him a little cash to help him in getting his booth. He got a nice list of all brides looking for photography. I emailed them all about a month ago...not one response. It's that stuff that drives me nuts. Here you have a list of people who are looking for someone, and yet...no responses. I'm unfortunately keeping it as a hobby with side money. It's unfortunate because I spent the last 7 years and tons of money trying to get this to happen. We also do video production work. I just don't have the funds or credit to continue any longer. I'm taking a break, taking what jobs gravitate towards us. The biggest sad point for me is that I really enjoy shooting these events. I love doing what I do and not being able to do it bothers me. Shooting nature and landscape can be fun but it only takes you so far.

In my experience, the websites that offer the buying of leads for $2 each or whatever, don't work. I have used a few big name ones and no leads or inquiries pan out. Instead, you are nickeled and dimed to death. $2 here and there will hurt after a bit. A lot of vendors have complained about this route as well. good luck!

Last edited:
Do you do high school senior portraits? I'm compiling a list of "preferred photographers" to add to my website. I do yearbook ad designs for seniors. We could work out a reciprocal link if you like.
Anyone else interested?

Hi, Thanks for the link to your Marketing Strategies article, I plan to read that. I'll check out your Pazilla site too. That's great that it's generating sales for you. That's what we all want! Thanks!

---------------------------------
photo booth rental los angeles

Craigslist has been good to me. Though I have had a couple odd jobs... Had a shoes shop hire me for their grand opening.....Way to many drunk woman and heels....Im not going there. :) But really I have found that you need at least 10 methods.
Here is an article I wrote for marketing and advertising
Marketing Strategies and Tips for Photographers.

Another Idea is the website I created Pazilla
It has not blown the world away but has created about 36 jobs/sales since its creation last year. Check it out. It is free.

Another things, something I am working on, is if you have a site, don;t show off all your fine art to wedding clients... and so on... I think it was mentioned but it has come up with clients of mine.. I am re working my site to fix this.

Hope this helps.

Ive tried craigslist, done a few free ones. It may lead to some print sales, but so far the last 3 free ones havent. Plus my free ads keep getting flagged.

Ive advertised weddings, but haven't gotten any from craigslist.

Ive done myspace and facebook, made tons of "friends" but no gigs from that yet. Im going to start posting pictures with permission on facebook and link to the people for everyone to see I think, although I hate giving digital images that could be printed, even if they are just 640x480.

I read 5 tips today from overnightprints.com - 5 OF THE BEST SMALL BUSINESS/SMALL BUDGET MARKETING IDEAS! « Design and Print Blog | Overnight Prints

Some of them are interesting. I thought about putting business cards/bookmarks in books at the library, but never got around to it. I dont really want to alienate the librarians since I know them. :) If I lived in a touristy area, I would be tempted to put do not disturb door things with my business info on them at local hotels. but that wouldnt work in this area.

Im trying to find all the community boards in this area and put up an advertisement. Most of the ones I find are either at a bank or at grocery stores. After valentines day Im thinking of making an 8x10 one and put that up at the bottom of the boards so it will be more eye grabbing.

I want to do some car portraits this summer. Its an interesting idea to get some business card type things that cling to glass and put it on the drivers side window of cars in parking lots. I dont know if the car owners will be annoyed at this though. I would be targeting the nicer cars.

Ive been trying word of mouth, but people say they want to schedule an appointment but never get around to it.

Ive had a blog for over a year, and I dont even have a single comment yet. people seem to be browsing the blog, but I dont know how many.

Im looking forward to whats said in this thread. :)

I've done the Craigslist advertising thing and I took an add in the paper for my photography services and it's just not good enough exposre. So I am all ears for advice and suggestions in regards to where else I should advertise my services? I reside in Phoenix... maybe that's the problem?!

Thanx all!:er:

Hi
Now a days SEO is plays a successful role in advertising ...why dont you use this way for our business advertising ? :thumbup:

A Facebook fan page is really easy to set up. Here's all the details on how to do it: Help Center | Facebook

Invite all your friends and then post a couple times a week about blog entries, new photos, etc.

---
Wozofoto.com - Deal-a-day Photography - Fine Art Prints for $10

Papa...papa...razzi
lol, How did you get the TMZ gig? Is it fun?

Spam: your targets with email, phone and direct mail. Networking: Face Book, Blog, Write Articles, Myspace and live events for what you want to shoot. The Store: Good website and portfolio. Market the store: google adds, online phone directories, online get local directories. That is where I would start. While you are at it learn about SEO for your website. No since in paying someone for something that you can do yourself. Besides it is expensive to hirer a good SEO company. SEO is far more lame than Wedding photography though and a lot more time consuming. Good luck because it is ofter better to be lucky than good

I'd definitely start with a website and then use other social media sites like facebook, twitter, flickr, linkedin, etc to direct traffic back to your site. I also think it also 'pays' to look into SEO and do some research. The internet is great because you can reach the most people possible, if you know what you are doing. I'd also check out websites like WeddingWire.com, Respond.com, or Taproll: Find Local Photographers in Your City and in Your Budget which is a new one to get listed in your local area.

msf said:
Ive been trying word of mouth, but people say they want to schedule an appointment but never get around to it.

You are confused here (and in many other aspects as well)

Word of mouth is when a previous customer tells someone else what a great job you did. Then that person books you due to the great job they hear you did.
Not the "words" coming out of "your mouth" lol

Most reactions

New Topics

Back