A guide to printing digital photos

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by Geronimo, Sep 23, 2003.

1. Geronimo

Geronimo TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I was wondering if anyone had a guide to print ditigal photos i.e. 1600x1200 resolution converted to inches? I understand 300 dpi is the prefered dpi to use but I heard you might be able to squeak by at 240 dpi? Is it just resolution divided by dpi ? 1600/1200 divided by 240 dpi = a 6.7 x 5 print?

2. drlynn

drlynn TPF Noob!

Some printers give acceptible results at 200 ppi, but the general conensus is 300 ppi for true photo quality.

I have an Epson Stylus Photo 785 EPX (which I love, tho I wish I could afford a newer Epson with the individual ink cartridges), and it gives excellent results at 300 ppi, and pretty good "snapshot quality" results at 200-250 ppi.

->EDIT : DOH! Forgot to answer the basic question! Yes, you are correct. Scan your image, or set your digital camera's resolution at a setting to give you the # of pixels you need to generate 300 ppi for the size print you want, ie an 8x10 print would require 2400x3000 pixel image.

3. Geronimo

Geronimo TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    well crapola then. Guess I need to go back and shoot some higher resolution photos if the weather is nice then.

Thanks for answering my question.

4. GerryDavid

GerryDavid No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thats why its always a good idea to take every picture at the highest setting you have. Besides if you want to crop, it leaves room to play and still large enough to print. :0).

Something else you could do is use software to enlarge the image so its at a larger dpi, its not as good as taking a picture of the original at a huge setting, but if you cant shoot the moment a 2nd time, its better than nothing. And appearantly Photoshop has intellegent software that does a good job in enlarging pictures. I havent tried this yet but its an idea. :0).

5. metroshane

metroshane TPF Noob!

You could always take a higher resolution picture...of the picture. 8)

I remember once in middle school I took a picture (with my 110) of Elle McPherson in Sports Illustrated. Then I told all my friends I met her and took the picture myself. :oops:

Some questioned that "I" took the pic but none figured out my method. :wink:

6. Geronimo

Geronimo TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I usually take photos 1600x1200 that gives me enough room to take 100 or so shots while I am out. It prints nice off of my photosmart 7115 (8x10). The problem is someone wants to buy a photo(s) that I took at 1600 x 1200, and sounded like she wanted the biggest print aviavable. I guess I could try messing around in photoshop to enlarge it enough.