A Hawai'i Lava Flow

Pelewatcher

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have lived on the Big Island of Hawai'i for many
This is my first post and I am just trying to make the system work. Shot this photo of other photograpers at a lava flow at Kalapana Hawai'i.
83622906-M.jpg

No the heat was tolerable but volcanic eruptions are not a photo equipment friendly environment. Lots of corrosive fume and salt spray.
I usually keep my equipment bagged until I am ready to use it and try to stay out of areas where the fume is bad.

Pelewatcher

I love the fact that you have photographed other photographers :D

I love this site I get to see pics of things that I will probably never see in real life!!! :D

Unique subject, definetly. Great colors, too. :thumbsup:

I look forward to seeing more from you.

Wow, this looks hot!
Like Cheyenne, also I like the inclusion of the other photographers, adds a nice element to an otherwise also nice photo - and yes, this is something we do not normally get to see, which adds to the fact that this is an interesting photo.
Do these lave flows make a sound?
Can you describe it?

Funny you should ask. There are two types of lava. A'a and pahoehoe. The lava in the photo is just altering its from from pahoehoe to A'a. Pahoehoe lava is silent but for an occasional hiss, crackle or pop. A'a lava sounds like someone breaking up an entire shop of fine china.

Pelewatcher

I never would have thought the photographers could/would get so close to the flow!

Most reactions

Back