A HEck Of A Week

vandecarr

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,

It seems like I'm having one problem after another and I know its just basic stuff that I'm forgetting to do so please, if you can redirect me.

When using my 350D I can't focus on the eyes correctly. Here is what is happening.

I'm using the 50 mm lens, camera set to one shot, and auto focus point is chosen...

Then, I focus on the eye closest to me and recompose the shot.

Now, I take the shot and the eyes are out of focus...

I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Next and most important, this does not happen when I use my 85 mm lens BUT...I can't use that one indoors as easy as the 50 mm.

Your input is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike V

If you are shooting at a wide open aperature you may be moving enough when you recompose to move out of the shallow DOF, thus resulting in the out of focus. Try it without recomposing to see if that is the problem.

First make sure that you can get a sharp shot. As mentioned, try it without recomposing and see what it's like. Sometimes, especially when working with close distances, recomposing can change the subject to camera distance...which will of course change the focus. This can be a problem when using a wide aperture (shallow DOF).

It may be possible that your lens is not focusing properly. Google 'Lens focus test' and check to make sure it's working properly.

Thanks guys,

as usual, it was an easy fix and you helped me fix it quickly. I can't thank you enough. I had the f stop at 1.8 and recomposed into the blurring part.

I went up a few f stops and the problem was gone.

Here was my test. I made my wife take a photo - focused her left eye and recomposed (f 2.8) and it worked great. Even though I softend it up, it still looks nice.

t2web.jpg

Thanks again,
Mike V

I have the same problem with my 50 1.4 and the 85 1.8 most of the time is that you're moving too much and out of the focused point
so it turns out that its better if you close it more if you're doing handheld shots, if in a tripod its better.

Most reactions

Back