'A' List Gallery

I think most (not all) already post what they consider to be *strong work* in the forums provided. Less desirable work is posted in the snap shot forum. Most post in the critique forum, because they want to know if others feel as strongly about that piece as they do. I think they believe that to be their 'A' work. If there is a lot of negative feedback then the artist will attemp to correct it, no longer making it a finished piece. Seems to me that serves the same purpose as what is being requested.

It sounds more like you think that most of the photos posted aren't up to your standards and looking at all of them is a waste of your time? So who's to say that what individuals post in the new area will be? I'm always open for critique, but I never post there. I'm just here to share the photos I take with others. My work is not up to par for magaizines and exhibits, and I don't come here looking for that type of work? I'm sure that many others are here for the same reasons.

The POTM is basically what you are asking for. The only difference is that viewers have the opportunity to list what they consider the best of the month from all forums. That would give you the opportunity to view and vote for what you consider 'A' material for that month.

Although I do see your reasoning for wanting such a forum, I also believe Hertz is correct. Over the past couple of years, we've tried a lot of things and learned quite a bit about what seems to work and what struggles. Unforunately, from the experiences I've had, this is the type of section that I believe would turn into quite a bit of trouble.

The bottom line is that people would likely post in there just as openly as they do in the other forums and the end result is a forum with photos that are really no different than what we find in the current gallery sections. This would turn into us trying to find a way to limit what is posted, which never works well.

I'm in total agreement with Hertz on this one. I for one would probably never post in a gallery like this. I've been taking photos nearly all of my life and I have yet to view anything that I've shot as my "best work". I tend to view each "good" shot as another step in the learning process. One mans awesome shot is another mans blooper. It just seems that there are just too many opportunties for problems with this kind of a gallery.

Woodsac is saying it best, I think.
Most regular members do not swamp this forum with EVERYTHING they have, but make a choice before they post at all. That choice already puts the photos that are then submitted to the forums into the member's personal "A"-List, unless they specifically ask for advice or open their photos to being edited by others or specifically name any problems they had while trying to achieve the photo.

We have the snapshot forum and the bloopers, so whoever feels like sharing a snapshot or even a blooper come out funny and good enough to bring about a smile on many a face can post there. The Photo Themes are open to any sort of photo, only there they get to be "assorted" a bit by the given Theme.

Then there is Critique and I find that personally I would only send a photo there that I consider to be strong in its own manner, or which I am unsure about. Only I might see a strength in it that others might just not see.

So there is quite some diversity here, forumwise, and something as exclusive as an A-List forum would only bring about problems, I fear.

Personally, each member can develop their own "manner of browsing" which can help save time and STILL give all posters here a fair share of attention. But I think this whole forum should remain as integrating as it is, not segregating, and remain a platform for all, no matter what material they take their photos with or what might be their strongest work according to their personal tastes.

Some interesting points that I'm tempted to discuss frankly but such honesty never seems to go down too well when diplomacy is such a high priority; Which is a shame because what's art without honesty?

Anyway... I guess I'll just have to continue to get my inspiration else where. :grumpy:

woodsac said:
It sounds more like you think that most of the photos posted aren't up to your standards and looking at all of them is a waste of your time?

marctwo said:
Anyway... I guess I'll just have to continue to get my inspiration else where.

Good call woodsac ;)

Ok...

Once again....

If we were to make a forum or gallery such as what you are proposing....

1) We have MANY levels of photographers here. We have people who don't yet know what an aperature is, and we have people who have spent their entire lives studying and maybe teaching photography, and being very succesful. You say you want this forum so you can see the 'good stuff' without having to weed through what you think is the bad stuff, and you propose that this can be done by implementing the rules of 'best finished work only'. Now....let's say we have photog A, an amatuer, and photog B, and seasoned veteran. Photog A submits something that doesn't even hold a flag to Photog B's work, but yet, it still really is his best finished work. So...can you see now where you are still going to have the same thing as in the other forums?

2) The critique forum is supposed to be for FINISHED work, that the photog deems to his/her good work. (not everyone gets this though, which is why it is somewhat heavily moderated). So rather than making a new forum, the guidelines of the critique forum just need to be enforced, without the general public screaming out in protest.

We appreciate your suggestion, but when it comes to what direction we want this forum to go in, it will not work. Chase (almighty TPF God) wants this forum to be a haven for all levels of photographers, not an elitist forum that only accepts pros, and we feel that what you are suggesting would not be supportive of what TPF is intended for. If that makes sense.

Marctwo said:
??? It's ok - I got it the first time. :confused:

If it's not going to happen then it's not going to happen. There's really no point in discussing it further.

Well, maybe I mis-interpereted (sp?), but I was judging by your last post that you weren't satisfied? Sorry, wasn't trying to offend in any way.

The critique forum is supposed to be for FINISHED work, that the photog deems to his/her good work.

I have a question then. I have posted a few of my "Finished" pieced to the landscape and nature forum. Appropriate? I have posted several pieces there as I was told my post to another forum was improper. The sticky on the Critique forum states or implies only images with "problems" are to be posted there. I don't consider my finished work to be "a problem". Am I confused, or just too stupid to live? :er:

Bottom line is that "finished" work is welcome basically everywhere. If you post it in critique, that implies that it is about as good as you can get it, but you're still looking for outside opinions on "pefecting" it. Otherwise, just posting it in other areas is more for general comments and showcasing purposes.

Unfinished work is also welcome just about everywhere. When posting something unfinished in the critique forum, however, we ask that it be a serious piece of work that you are honestly attempting to improve.

Hope that helps a little.

jstuedle said:
I have a question then. I have posted a few of my "Finished" pieced to the landscape and nature forum. Appropriate? I have posted several pieces there as I was told my post to another forum was improper. The sticky on the Critique forum states or implies only images with "problems" are to be posted there. I don't consider my finished work to be "a problem". Am I confused, or just too stupid to live? :er:

Hmmm..well, for one, there is nothign saying you HAVE to put your finished work only in the critique forum. You are perfectly fine putting it in the other galleries. As for the other thing you posted...I will have to do a little more investigating on that matter. I'm sure Hertz or JonMikal can explain it better as they are the critique gurus. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back