A little confused

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Tighearnach, Jan 14, 2008.

1. Tighearnach

Tighearnach TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hello.

I am just trying to get something clear in my head:confused:.

I have a 300mm lens and im thinking of buying a 1.4X converter. I use a cropped sensor camera (400D).

So am i right in saying that i will have a magnification of 420mm but my field of view (if thats what i shud call it?) will be 672mm or thereabouts? Or am i way off here....?

Thanks again
    T

2. Shibby!

Shibby! TPF Noob!

You sir, are correct..

In equal's to full frame focal lengths, you will have 672 mm of zoom, however, put that on a full frame digital camera, and you'll be back at 420mm with the 1.4 TC.

3. Happy Hour

Happy Hour TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    don't forget you almost double you F stop with a tele converter.I use my 2x all the time but on a 300mm lens full zoom its at a f11 as the widest aperture i can go.

4. Helen B

Helen B TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The F-number gets multiplied by the same factor as the focal length, so a 1.4x teleconverter results in a one-stop increase in the F-number (eg f/4 to f/5.6) and a 2x teleconverter results in a doubling of the F-number, or a two-stop increase in F-number. This only applies to the type used behind the main lens. Teleconverters used in front of the main lens should not affect the F-number.

Best,
    Helen