A little digital restoration, a lot of photo oils...

terri

Administrator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I came across this 1960's photo of my mother and me. It was in fair shape, considering its age, just dirty and scratched up. After cleaning it, I scanned it and digitally cleaned up the scratches in photoshop, made some other repairs and smoothed the edges. I thought the cabinet handle was distracting, so I stamped it out. I also didn't like the pot handle coming out of Mom's head and removed it, as well.

I used Bergger inkjet P12, which is a very toothy paper and some of the texture shows on this scan.

My mom loves colorized versions of old family shots, so this will be her Christmas present. For fun, I researched some 60's deco art color schemes, since I intended this to be an exaggerated, idealized portrait.

Any comments, suggestions welcome.

Here is the original "before" image:

normal_mama_sgirljpeg.jpg

And here is the "after" image, colorized:

normal_mamasgirlcopyHC.jpg

The B&W has been restored and printed on Epson semigloss, and looks great. :D This thread is only about showing what I did for my mom that I know she is a fan of. :wink:

How sweet! :) I think your mom will love it. I like the B&W better too, but if your mom loves the colorized versions, she'll love this.

My mom's 50th birthday is in 3 weeks. This gives me a good idea for a gift. Too bad I'm not good at Photoshop (never even opened the program yet).

The coloring has a professional touch no question! PS I assume?

santino said:
yeah, looks great but why is it so grainy (or was that your intention cause the b&w one's not).

What I wrote up there about the "toothy" paper was my way of explaining the textured look of the colored version. It looks good in front of you, but whenever I've scanned this paper, the tooth shows up as "grain". It isn't there on image.

I only use PS for the digital restoration part. I printed it as a B&W. This image was hand painted with photo oils and pencils.

santino said:
ok thanks, I should read your posts better :) my fault

Nah, I've done this a lot, so I think I've gotten out of the habit of explaining the process very well. :wink: I brought one into my former office to show someone the car model in it, or something, and she wanted to know how I got the colors on it. Next thing I knew, she asked if I'd do one for her if she brought me the photo. Word got out and I suddenly had so many people coming up to me with their beaten up little B&W photos, wanting them colorized, I was continuously busy with these jobs. 9 times out of 10, once they were cleaned digitally I always thought they looked like wonderful old B&Ws, like this one. But people always wanted the color, usually a more minimalist approach than this one is. The oils are archival, so it's not like it hurts anything. And I made money doing it. :p But, photo restoration isn't really my "thing" so I don't make a big noise out of it.

But I knew my mom would flip over this particular image, and I wanted to make it campy with the 60's deco color profile. :wink:

terri said:
This image was hand painted with photo oils and pencils.

:shock: Handpainted by who? Is he/she still alive?

danalec99 said:
terri said:

I just checked my pulse. Yes, it's still there. :wink:

I hand painted it yesterday!

terri said:
danalec99 said:
terri said:

I just checked my pulse. Yes, it's still there. :wink:

I hand painted it yesterday!

Oh.. so hand painted it from a photograph? I'm not clear :?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back