A little digital restoration, a lot of photo oils...

danalec99 said:
terri said:
danalec99 said:
terri said:
This image was hand painted with photo oils and pencils.

:shock: Handpainted by who? Is he/she still alive?

I just checked my pulse. Yes, it's still there. :wink:

I hand painted it yesterday!

Oh.. so hand painted it from a photograph? I'm not clear :?

That's ok...I don't seem to be explaining myself very well. I think I'm used to showing stuff like this to other handcoloring artists and have fallen out of the habit of explaining the technique. Sorry! :blulsh2:

I scanned this old photograph, so I then I had a digital file of it, enabling me to clean it and repair all the scratches and tears in the emulsion and remove what I considered clutter (like the pot handle in the top image). I used PS for this work. Then I printed it out onto this special inkjet paper - not many inkjet papers will accept oil paints without some kind of grounding, or barrier - oil and paper don't mix. But this Bergger paper does (despite the fact that it doesn't scan very well and shows the tooth. Nothing I can do about that.). So I then had an inkjet B&W of the original image, enlarged and cleaned up digitally. I laid out my oils and painted them on, using cotton swabs, qtips, skewers, and oil pencils. The original photo is still a B&W old mess, but my digital scan of it is a nice B&W just for me, that I can print out anytime. :D Does this make better sense now?

ferny said:
Looks good Terri. :)

Have you heard of this? I've just sent you a link in a PM to. It goes to another forum so don't want to post it here. :)

http://www.blackmagic-color.com/

Thanks for the link, Ferny! :) I've heard of this. It's digital coloring, and I've seen some nice stuff done digitally. Peronally I prefer hand painting with oils or other media directly on the print. Oils are my fave but I also like chalks and wax pencils. Sometimes digital colors just look....off, somehow. I also prefer working at my drafting table as opposed to the PC. Personal preference, that's all. :wink:

terri said:
danalec99 said:
terri said:
danalec99 said:
terri said:

I hand painted it yesterday!

Oh.. so hand painted it from a photograph? I'm not clear :?

That's ok...I don't seem to be explaining myself very well. I think I'm used to showing stuff like this to other handcoloring artists and have fallen out of the habit of explaining the technique. Sorry! :blulsh2:

I scanned this old photograph, so I then I had a digital file of it, enabling me to clean it and repair all the scratches and tears in the emulsion and remove what I considered clutter (like the pot handle in the top image). I used PS for this work. Then I printed it out onto this special inkjet paper - not many inkjet papers will accept oil paints without some kind of grounding, or barrier - oil and paper don't mix. But this Bergger paper does (despite the fact that it doesn't scan very well and shows the tooth. Nothing I can do about that.). So I then had an inkjet B&W of the original image, enlarged and cleaned up digitally. I laid out my oils and painted them on, using cotton swabs, qtips, skewers, and oil pencils. The original photo is still a B&W old mess, but my digital scan of it is a nice B&W just for me, that I can print out anytime. :D Does this make better sense now?

hehe.. Could'nt make it clearer. :D

When you mentioned hand painting, I thought someone actually "painted" the image.

Thanks, good work, and I'm sure Mom will be happy!

two people said:

Well, that's a relief. I was starting to get worried. You can tell the painter that she has some talent. ;)

This is a great picture and like both the b&w version along with the color one for different reasons. The composition you ended up with also has a nice straightforward layout. Cool pictures terri!

terri!
its beautiful!
its beautiful as a shot, as a painting and its beautiful as a kind of a present too!
im sure your Mum will love it!

i really like the colourized shots,with an 'old fashioned' look - i was doing it myself too, but ive never tried to paint prints from a home printer...
i've always used bw prints i did with enlarger (sorry if my english isnt correct enough -:) )
have you ever tried it?
usually i used prints made at paper with brome surface (bromine? does it make sens? -:), this kind of surface works great with oils,and it has special, 'old matt' look...
sometimes i was using some varnishes too.

have you ever tried to paint the shots with special inks('ecoline' for example?)? it can give nice effect too, bit different than oils, but also nice ...

great work, terri! i love it!

Awesome terri! See what I missed while hanging out with my new kid ;) I think you did a wonderful job. Even though you did use photoshop ;) :twisted:

Very nice work Terri. I'm sure your Mom will love it.

voodoocat said:
Awesome terri! See what I missed while hanging out with my new kid ;) I think you did a wonderful job. Even though you did use photoshop ;) :twisted:

Even us "finger-painting purists" break out these funny new inventions :crazy: every now and then... :green to:

Anua: I agree, the best way to hand paint anything is when it is a real darkroom-generated fiber-based B&W print. That's the real thing. :wink: I don't have much hand coloring on display here on this forum, but most of my work is done with real prints. What I did here was a fun way to re-work a retro-kind of image, with retro-looking colors. It was actually MUCH harder painting an inkjet than a fiber-based print!! :shock:

I use mainly photo oils and oil pencils. I have chalks, wax pencils, oil bars and some markers. I have seen the inks you mentioned demonstrated, but they have a reputation of being very difficult to remove if you make a mistake. So I fear them. :wink: I'd love to see some of your hand coloring; I have no doubt you do beautiful work!

Thanks all! :D

Most reactions

Back