A little film developing refresher please

Junior897

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I haven’t developed B&W film since 92 or 93, and would like a little refresher. I will probably need a refresher on print as well when I get my darkroom up and running.

Equipment and chemical list
4 Hewes reels

2 reel tank and 4 reel tank

Thermometer I always used a glass Kodak one, and can’t find my old one. I found a glass one on freestyle. Should I use glass or go to a newer one? If so can someone suggest one?

Three one gallon glass jars with the spout on the bottom. That’s what we used before, and it seemed to work then. Plus it is easy to just be able to push on the spout to fill the tanks.

Homemade film dryer. It will consist of a hair dryer, PVC pipe, and timer. That is what I used long ago when I did it before.

Developer I can’t remember what I used before, but here is what I am thinking. Either D-76 or Tmax. I always used Kodak stuff because that is what the school lab used, and I am confortable with it.

Stop bath I never used it in the past I just rinsed it out with water between developer and fixer. Stop bath is pretty cheap so I will use it now.

Fixer I always used Kodak on it as well so I will stick with it.

^^ Yup - Junior897, review this article (and the whole series eventually) for a terrific refresher/how-to. You'll find that you're well on your way, given what you've already mentioned you have.

Have fun - don't forget to post some of your results! :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back