A LITTLE HELP FOR A BEGINNER??

**MESHA**

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everyone,
i am a total beginner in photography! I would love to get to know as much as possible here in this forum..hope you guys can help me out :)

*how should i start off?
*what are the best tips to start with, the easiest exercises, what kind of
pictures?
*How did you start? did you teach yourself, did you go to college?

I would be very thankful for any ideas and help
thank you very much :)

I think you should be posting this in the beginners forum. Come with me, I'm heading there right now =D

I would just shoot - as many photos and as often as possible. Then post them here, and get critiqued.

Also, just reading around TPF is how I learned most of my photographic knowledge.

Welcome to TPF, btw!

There are no easy subjects to start with ;)

Best thing is to go out and photograph what you want to photograph - then come online and get crits on those photos. That way you can get guidance on a specific area of interset to you - such as wildilfe, people, studio, street, sports etc....

As your starting out I would recomend reading these 2 books - they helped me when I started a year ago

1) The Digital Photography Book - Scot Kelby - this is a starters book, it gives you guidance on what settings and modes to use for different subjects, but does not go into the specific details of the why of those settings - good when you need a place to start from

2) Understanding Exposure - Bryan Peterson - this is the why book - it explains how shutter speed, aperture and ISO interact together to give you an exposure, IT also goes into explaining how to be creative with your exposures as well.

The first thing you need to get a handle on is composition: once you've got a good idea on composition you can start making some real progress in whatever area of photography you enjoy. Luckily, you can learn composition with any camera, and any subject. A great place to start is the rule of thirds.

*how should i start off?

well you came to TFP. that's a great start IMO. i've learned so much here.

*what are the best tips to start with, the easiest exercises, what kind of
pictures?

I would recommend starting off by learning photography terms. Here is one of my favorite links. Focussing on the "exposure" section would be good idea too.

http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Glossary/

*How did you start? did you teach yourself, did you go to college?

I am teaching myself. You can learn a great deal from the internet, books, and other photographers. If you plan to make a career out of photography, I'd definitely suggest college.

BTW, what camera do you own? How long have you had it? What type of subjects are you interested in photographing; people, landscapes, animals, flowers, etc?

My last recommendation would be to do a good amount of research before spending tons of cash on a dSLR and/or lenses. I've known few people who were quick into buying a camera and spent buku bucks only to sell their equipment on eBay and craiglist because they didn't research the products.

hope this is a start =D

thank you all very much for your tips

well, i just signed in the photo forum yesterday so i gotto figure that whole thing out lol
btw:JENN76 i'm from clayton, near raleigh

1) The Digital Photography Book - Scot Kelby - this is a starters book, it gives you guidance on what settings and modes to use for different subjects, but does not go into the specific details of the why of those settings - good when you need a place to start from

Would this book be helpful to a beginner using a film based SLR as well?

Whilst many film books still stand solid for digital cameras - the reverse is less true. Exposure for film cameras is slightly different than for digital and you also cannot change your ISO the way that a digital user can (one of the biggest differences) since your ISO is defined by your film in the camera.
I am sure, though, that there are a lot of good film camera books out there :)

I started by teaching myself using my dad's old film SLR enjoyed it started learning composition and everything from there and took an introductory B&W class eventually in school and that is where I REALLY got hooked. My ideal on how to start out (and it surely isn't everybody's is to get a basic film SLR (I have a Nikon FM10 (which I enjoy shooting with a lot more than my Nikon D50) other suggestions might be a Pentax ME really whatever you can get cheap with a lens (preferably a 50mm)) shoot a couple of rolls of film and have them developed. Just this experience actually made me a much better photographer as I noticed after the long absence from taking the image that I had no clue what exactly was the subject in most of my pictures.

One benefit of the film SLR approach is now you'll have a film camera around for when you want to try out a B&W photo class or just do some B&W work (which never seems quite the same when done digitally) There is a cost trade-off there it costs about $500 for about the cheapest DSLR setup you can find film SLR setups for around $100 without looking too hard (it is possible to find them for free) that $400 difference in initial cost can be rapidly taken up with film and development if you're not careful (most recently expired film is still good) but I think that lack of instant gratification can and does improve your photography.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back