A Little Help Please :P

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by prodigy, Feb 3, 2009.

1. prodigy

prodigy TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hey all, I'm new to the forum and somewhat new to photography and I just wanted to see what others thought of a few photos I've taken recently.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. chrisburke

chrisburke TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    well they are all pretty blurry.... to saturated for my liking.... and really harsh shadows in the first one

3. Samanax

Samanax TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    What kind of camera did you use for these pictures?

Did you want #2 to come out blurry like that?

4. prodigy

prodigy TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    yeah I absolutely agree w.the blurryness... I was planning on retouching all the photos tomorrow on photoshop, but I had originally intended #2 to be blurry anyways.

i have a custom pentax and a nikonP80 for a more comfortable and smaller camera, but these were taken with the pentax if i remember correctly..

you don't like the shadows on the first photo? I thought the look was somewhat becoming? :p

thanks for the input

5. chrisburke

chrisburke TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i'm going to assume your joking when you say you like the shadows

6. prodigy

prodigy TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    nope, on the first one I do like the shadow... but maybe a few of the other ones i definitely see what you're talking about..

and you might wanna know that im pretty much still just a kid.. i don't have the excess money kicking around to supplement my photography interests so I'm doing what I can with what i got for the time being... right now I'm focusing on mainly on the composition of the photos.. i know shadows, focus, coloration, etc. is somewhat key in all of this :p, but that's why I'm here asking for help and feedback so I can fix em up and produce the best photos I'm capable of producing. so please bear with me.

7. Arch

Arch Damn You! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    whats wrong with liking shadows?.. not all shadows mean 'bad photo'.

I think the contrast is a little high on these but i can see you have some enthusiasm.... keep going i say ;)

8. prodigy

prodigy TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    thanks for the support and encouragment arch... i've decided to include a few.. more clean cut? photos.. a little bland in my opinion but without all the messiness these other ones have...

these are much more straightforward.. contrast minimal, except for the last one

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. chrisburke

chrisburke TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i'd just like to say.. i've found an all time low today on TPF... I received an infraction (i think that means a strike) for my last comment, which wasnt meant in a rude way at all.... boot me, i really don't care, that has created the LAST time i recommend someone to this site, and a lot of people have joined due to my recommendation.. if you people cant take simple humor (because thats all it was) i'm obviously in the wrong place.. i will go join a GOOD Forum, where people are allowed to speak their minds, and are allowed to joke with people

i didnt ask if you had piles of money for gear.. you ask for CC on the photos I gave it to you... harsh shadows like that in photos, are generally frown upon, unless something has changed in the last day or so.

grow up, if you cant take comments, dont ask for them.. and certainly dont report someone when they give you HONEST feed back.. i hope you enjoy people giving you comments that arent going to help you improve... arch, your a good man, and you seem to know your photo stuff, how can you say that shadow looks good...yes, some photos shadows look good.. not portrait type... if i went to a pet photographer, and got them to take a picture of my cat, and they gave me this.. i would laugh in their face.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  10. prodigy

prodigy TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i didnt take it in a rude way whatsoever... and im sorry you got a strike for it, but you're kind of setting this thread on a new topic of conversation, which i understand and sympathize for you, but its really just taking away from the massive amounts of constructive criticism i could be receiving... hell take the chance to speak your mind. give me something substantial to work with. :p

but i hope things end up working for you whatever you choose to do.

11. chrisburke

chrisburke TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    ok...

#1 has some pretty harsh shadows, which yes, in some instances are ok, but in portrait style photos, such as this one, they arent a good thing to have... to combat that, move your subject further away from the wall. also the white balance seems off to me, but maybe thats the color of your wall.

#2 seems pretty blurry... the photo would be cool if the background was out of focus but at least the cats face in focus.. to combat this, use your auto focus, and dont move the camera when you take the photo/

#3 again the white balance seems off and the subject (assuming its the cat) is not in focus.

4 and 5 dont really do much for me, so i'll leave those for someone who likes them

12. prodigy

prodigy TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    haha alright thanks man, the background isn't white is almost a pale yellow, but definitely a yellow, so that may be whats throwing you and others off on that.. I wasn't really aiming for any particular genre with any of the photos... really just havin fun and dickin around... but thanks for the tip.. i tried a couple of times to coax the little bugger into a more workable position, but shes not too keen on staying still for too long so I just did what i could with where she was headin... for the second one with the blurryness thing, i was movin around a lot tryin to "herd" her around while she's believing im playing so not keeping my camera completely steady in these photos proved to be more of a problem, but I see now that sacrificing the clarity of a shot for the content isn't exactly the right thing to do.

thanks for all in help so far.