a little help please?

Invisible_Ink

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
in my Studio Photo class, the current assignment is a still life. I did my first preliminary shots today an I was only able to make one that wouldn't totally embarrass me. But i'm still not happy with it. here it is

guitarstilllife1.jpg

the composition kinda sucks and the subject matter is uninspired. any tips on how to make it look more interesting though?

shot on a Nikon D60 through the kit lens at F11, shutter speed 100 and ISO 100. I was using 4 white lightning strobes. One through a soft box and 3 through grid spots.

Last edited:
Well in my opinion the head phones don't really go to well with an acoustic guitar. I'd probably have chosen to stand the guitar up with some sheet music laying beside it. The guitar laying down is okay too, but I'd really opt for something other than the headphones.

Well, first, why don't you select subject matter that is inspiring?

That being said, Dagwood is on it. Stand the guitar up, get rid of the headphones, import some sheet music, or perhaps some concert memorabilia, or even an empty fifth bottle of Jack Daniels.

The lighting seems very frontal, and appears to be coming from a small source. Add some emotion and contrast to your lighting to spice it up by moving the light source a bit more to the side of the scene and add a reflector to the opposite side..or not.

Most reactions

Back