A little HIE infrared

Discussion in 'The Black & White Gallery' started by Boz Mon, May 21, 2008.

1. Boz Mon

Boz Mon TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Heres the results of months of studying how to shoot the stuff. For the most part, I am happy, but there are some issues that I have. Some of them came out really grainy, the film wasnt expired so I dont know why this happened. I also edited them in photoshop to get more of the infrared look that I am used to seeing. I dont know why it didnt come out perfect. I have one more roll that I will be using because it expires in like 3 months. Tell me what you think. Also I am posting this exact post on here, honda-tech photography section, and GTplanet.net photography section because I have been using all of them to figure out how this stuff works. Anyway, I hope you enjoy and have comments. :tup:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

P.S. the tombstone is actually my grandpa's, you can see my reflection in it too. I think that is my best shot and I am hopefully going to make an 8x10 and give it to my grandma :tup:

2. Judge Sharpe

Judge Sharpe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I really love the last one. I have never seen a reflection in IR before/ Teh rest are good and I do not know why they were grainy that usually means bad development, too hot maybe, or pushed too much. I hope that ypou can go to 8x10 with oout losing detail. For an important picture llike that you might thimk about an inter- negative to enlarge from. I have done that in the past to try to minimise the grain issue and to get large enough negatives for contact printing. Good luck.
    Judge Sharpe AKA Bill Brower

3. Boz Mon

Boz Mon TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for the comments. The inner negative thing you speak of, how would I go about doing this?

4. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    HIE is always challenging! Everyone seems to have their own style of using it.

What did you rate it at (ISO)? What kind of filter did you use? Did you bracket your shots? If not, you might want to try that next time and keep an exposure log for each frame, so you can see what works best for your settings.

It's also very easy to over-process the stuff. You don't mention how it was developed, so it's hard to say if that played a part.

btw: HIE has a naturally fat grain which is very easy to make too pronounced for your tastes again depending on how you process it.

5. Boz Mon

Boz Mon TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I shot with a Pentax ME-Super ISO 400. I went by the exposure meter and bracketed off that (1 above and 1 below), red (25a?) filter. I didnt process it because I dont know how. I took it to a shop here in Chicago to process, and one of my friends who works at walgreens developed the negatives. I dont really know what else to do. I have 1 more roll, and I am going to make that one count.

6. Judge Sharpe

Judge Sharpe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Its been a long time, but basicly you have an enlagred negative made. Say you want to blow up to a 8x10- You put your 35mm into an enlarger, make a film positive, by putting an intermediate size in to a print frame and exposing it. You then process the film positive like a negative but usually in trays. contact print a negative from that. Now it gets hard because you need an enlarger that will handle that sized negative. You do the same thing over with 8x 10 film and contact print.
    Or you can scan it and print onto transfer film with an inkjet, contact print from that.
    On second thought it might be too muc trouble,
    Googal enlarged negatives and inter negatives for a clearer explination.
    Good luck
    Judge Sharpe

7. Boz Mon

Boz Mon TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Interesting. So do you guys think that 400ISO is ok or should I try something else next time? Do you think that the results that I got are acceptable?