A little honesty

Status
Not open for further replies.
This post shows complete arrogance and is why this forum is completely held back.
There is a serious beef in "professional" ranks towards "amateurs".
This type of attitude is symptomatic, of an underlying current that flows through some professionals, and its all about money.
Simple economics dictate, the more good photographers there are, the harder "professionals" have to work to earn their crust.
Its not in their interests, looking at the big picture, to help anyone become good enough to take their work away.
I know many pro's with this chip on their shoulder, they want a closed club, a monopoly, to protect their interests.
Allsmiles suggestions hold some merit in the context he/she speaks, but, if protecting ones interests were not an issue, (I dont feel a few snapshots in the wrong forum is the no1 contributing factor) I feel his/her post would never have been made.
With the advent of cheap digital photography, comes added econmic pressure to those who's photography puts bread on the table.
This forum appears to be a place to learn, from day 1 to day 1000001, trying to form a closed shop of critique, defined by...what...whether you get paid or not ? feels......against the spirit and ideals of the free forum concept..

This incoherent rant demonstrates that Allsmiles had good reason to post her criticism.

skieur

i agree 100% with allsmiles. and what's wrong with getting worried about a 'MWAC' taking your business. the real professionals invest lots of money getting the right equipment, offices/studios, advertising, etc. and we still have to fight to educate the public that the people who bought a camera, took a nice picture, and then started selling their services due to overly gratuitous comments on places like here may not live up to a professional standard, they may not be able to adapt to less than perfect conditions, may not have a backup or even the right equipment, etc. but all the consumer sees is the really low price, which may force the pros to lower theirs ultimately driving them out of business because this stuff isn't cheap.

i see it all the time here also - 'i bought a camera and now i'm ready to go pro'. it gets to me, but i also am a lurker so i really don't care which way the forum's future heads. besides, all she's saying is post in the proper forum. imagine a professional football game where a high school player runs out on the field - would they embrace him as one of their own?

This incoherent rant demonstrates that Allsmiles had good reason to post her criticism.

skieur

Well.....that makes sense

I congratulate you on such a well constructed argument against said, incoherent rant.

professionals invest lots of money getting the right equipment, offices/studios, advertising, etc.
True but it is no guarantee of the actual pictures produced being any good or value for money.
ALL professionals started out as amateurs, and each one that makes the move takes as much work from existing professionals as they create new. Just remember that. So if it was OK for you to turn from amateur to pro and take work from other professionals, why is it not OK for someone to try to do the same to you?
If a photographer is any good, can sell themselves, give the client what they want, adapt to changing conditions and give value for money then they will survive. If they can't do that they will quickly go out of business. And stepping on the faces of people with the same aspirations as you once had will not change that fact of life.
But it does make it clear that a lot of people who make the jump from amateur to professional are suddenly hit by the reality of their situation: being a pro is a precarious business and you can't sleep at nights for worrying if you'll have any work next week, and you are always looking over your shoulder to see if someone is poaching your clients.
Photography is a business like any other. You have lean times and good times. And you will always have competition and newbies wanting to join your ranks.
Live with it or get a new career.

all the consumer sees is the really low price
This is the real problem. But not all consumers are like that. Just as many want something different or something special - and it is that part of the market that the wise pro aims at.

Now I really do think this thread has run it's course and is just devolving into petty bitching.
Can a kindly Mod lock it? If you don't there will be tears before bedtime.

Hertzilein, I can only but agree ... I had planned to lock this even right after an earlier post but thought common sense would make people stay away from commenting any further, but before this gets any worse I shall lock it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back