A little input please!!!

Brooke83

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am a very new beginner and wouldn't mind some critique... here are just a few shots...

96.jpg

84.jpg

47.jpg

I like them a lot. The only thing I would change is in the 2nd one clone out the wrinkles in the backdrop. And maybe tone down your watermark it is distracting. I love the colors in the last one cute baby!

I like them a lot. The only thing I would change is in the 2nd one clone out the wrinkles in the backdrop. And maybe tone down your watermark it is distracting. I love the colors in the last one cute baby!

Oh thank you very much... I will play with it and see what I can do

Agreed. I especially like the first photo because that is what photography is: catching the right moment.
But your logo – some call it a 'watermark', I call it 'grafitti'* – is indeed distracting. A lot. Plus it isn't consistent: different styles in no. 1 and no. 3.
No. 3 is also a bit too saturated for my taste. And that photo would have been better, imo, if you had applied the rule-of-thumb for photographing kids and animals: get down to their eye level! Bend your knees if you have to.

*I've never understood why people insist on defacing their images when they've first gone to pains to make them as beautiful as possible. It's as if the name is more important than the image...

Agreed. I especially like the first photo because that is what photography is: catching the right moment.
But your logo – some call it a 'watermark', I call it 'grafitti'* – is indeed distracting. A lot. Plus it isn't consistent: different styles in no. 1 and no. 3.
No. 3 is also a bit too saturated for my taste. And that photo would have been better, imo, if you had applied the rule-of-thumb for photographing kids and animals: get down to their eye level! Bend your knees if you have to.

*I've never understood why people insist on defacing their images when they've first gone to pains to make them as beautiful as possible. It's as if the name is more important than the image...

Oh these are just proofs... I don't put my name on the ones I give to the clients.

In the 2nd one, you could have your subject stand a little further away from the backdrop and you could blur it out with a shallow depth of field, or, you could iron the creases out of the backdrop. I'm not sure what kind of luck you'll have cloning them out.

I know when I've cloned out things with PSP that it starts to look ugly, but photoshop might be better.

Otherwise the 2nd one is my favorite.

personally, I say leave the watermarks up for anything posted on the web. It serves two purposes. 1) People know right away who took the picture. 2) It stops some, not all, people from stealing you image. If someone really wants your image and is good at what they do, they can clone out your watermark. However most people will not even try because they do not think it is possible. In this day and age of digital rights, I'd watermark everything that is in public view. Proofs for clients eyes only...those don't need em.

Is this better... Alfred???

Absolutely!
But now the girl's saturation bugs me, so I toned it down a bit and I tweaked the backdrop creases a little while I was at it. But it's only a Quick & Dirty, because you really need to do that to the full-size original, of course.

kristi092b.jpg

BTW, if you're using CS3: no. 1 could use a bit of "de-vignetting".

Number one is my favorite. I think the vignetting helps focus the subject.

I really do love the first photo, it's very good.

Absolutely!
But now the girl's saturation bugs me, so I toned it down a bit and I tweaked the backdrop creases a little while I was at it. But it's only a Quick & Dirty, because you really need to do that to the full-size original, of course.

kristi092b.jpg

BTW, if you're using CS3: no. 1 could use a bit of "de-vignetting".

Thanks!!!:thumbup:

personally, I say leave the watermarks up for anything posted on the web. It serves two purposes. 1) People know right away who took the picture. 2) It stops some, not all, people from stealing you image. If someone really wants your image and is good at what they do, they can clone out your watermark. However most people will not even try because they do not think it is possible. In this day and age of digital rights, I'd watermark everything that is in public view. Proofs for clients eyes only...those don't need em.

And that is exactly why I put my name on them. I also put them on the proofs because no one wants to print out pictures with someone's name on them... so it's almost a gauranteed way to get paid for the final pictures.

Thanks!!! :thumbup:

I'll be darned. Apparently I'm not patient enough with the clone brush.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back