A little insurance help

DrzKing

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey guys I recently bought a Canon 40D and I currently have a 50mm F 1.8 but I plan on expanding. I plan on getting a Tamron 28-75 F 2.8 and in the distant future a Canon 70-200 F 2.8L IS. So I'm considering insurance right now. I'd like to know of any reputable insurance companies for my camera.

Note: I'm in the USA don't have renter's or homeowner's insurance and don't plan on getting any any time soon. I plan on traveling with my gear as well, and note I'm 15 so something under $100 a year would be nice as I'm paying for it myself.

Thanks in advance guys and gals.

You're 15? Go pay a visit to your parents insurance agent and ask him/her what it would cost to add your gear to the homeowner insurance and what it would cover. Depending on the insurance your parents have it may not add anything to the cost.

Insurance contracts for pro photographer usually cover a lot more than equipment and will be expensive for you.

My parents don't have homeowner's/renter's insurance (don't know why) and there's not a real necessity to drive here so they don't (so no auto insurance) lol.

So any insurance independent of another policy would be nice.

Thanks.

Last edited:
With expensive equipment, you really should have renter's insurance anyways. Just make sure the insurance policy either includes or has options to insure against theft while traveling.

My parent's won't bite. So I want to take care of my own gear, especially since I bought all myself this summer with money from my first job.

If you want just coverage for your gear you could go to Hill and Usher or TCP&Co, but I think they do packages with liability as well as property coverage.

Your age may give you some problems because it depends on state law when someone can legally sign an insurance contract. Also when looking at them remember that most if not all tenant/homeowner policies only cover a certain percentage of off premises coverage, and without inland marine coverage policy limits on camera equipment are limited.

Is Hill and Usher reputable? I've heard them mentioned before while I was researching but I didn't know how reputable they were so I wanted to make sure of that before going through with it. Also, I can just ask my mom to sign the insurance contract so I don't think it'll be too big of a deal in that respect. I want to make sure I'm covered for loss and theft domestically and abroad.

And I'll make sure to get policy that includes Inland Marine coverage.

EDIT: Also this is Hill and Usher correct? (http://www.packagechoice.com/)

Last edited:
Before going to a pro insurance company or at the same time for that matter, just walk into a regular insurance agency in your neighborhood, tell them what you want and see what they can do. Doesn't cost anything to ask. And it is always a good idea to get quotes from different companies anyway.

I called up Nationwide earlier and they said they can't do this on it's own, it'd have to be added on to an existing policy. And I did some research on some of the big insurance companies and they ones I know of were rated the 10 worst insurance companies in America for the way they handle claims, bilking policy holders to gain money for shareholders.

I appreciate all the help and advice you guys have offered so far, so lets keep it coming lol.

Yeah, not too surprised they wouldn't insure your gear by itself. But, as I said, it is free to ask.

Yep, so do you think I should go with Hill and Usher?

I use State Farm for my gear. It's called a Separate Articles Policy and costs about $12.00 a year for every $1000.00 of gear covered. No deductable, covers theft, loss, and plain ole' clumsy accidents like dropping the thing on the sidewalk.

Have you filed a claim with them? If so how have they handled it?

Have you filed a claim with them? If so how have they handled it?

Nope. Never needed to. They carry our home owners and car insurance as well and they have always been very quick and easy to work with on homeowners and auto claims.

Most reactions

Back