A little lightning, anyone?

Wouldn't it work during the night shots if you set it to Bulb, with the other settings the same, then you click the remote, and you can stop the exposure any time after you see some lightning hit. I've never done this, but it seems like it would work and cut down on the # of exposures?

Wouldn't it work during the night shots if you set it to Bulb, with the other settings the same, then you click the remote, and you can stop the exposure any time after you see some lightning hit. I've never done this, but it seems like it would work and cut down on the # of exposures?

Yes, you can do this, but if left open too long, I find that the exposure starts to build excessive noise at an almost compounding rate (especially around background lights like #'s 1 & 3). You can use noise reduction, etc, But if you are shooting digital, what's the worry about the number of exposures??? I would rather delete a bunch of dark pictures than to try to have to save a noisy one, that COULD have been fantastic, because the bolt came at the end of a two or three minute exposure.

Phranquey offers good advice. I have been shooting lightning for 6 years now and average about one close call every 2 seasons.

Nice shots... I wish I had the storms to do this. We did on Sunday but I was busy with the family. You a storm chaser by anychance?

You a storm chaser by anychance?

Not in any "official" capacity. I do it just as a part of my photo hobby.

Wow, great shots! Great light, colors, details and perfect timing. I have a slight preference for the last photo! Excellent work! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Greetings,
Ann :sillysmi:

You a storm chaser by anychance?

Not in any "official" capacity. I do it just as a part of my photo hobby.
Although this is an old thread, for any just now viewing it can benefit from your advice. I just wanted to say that your advice for safety cannot be over emphasised. My lifestyle has brought me dangerously close to strikes, to the point that I've actually been struck by "glowing" embers from a tree that (and I know better) was hit. Your camera and tripod make a perfect target.

J.:mrgreen:

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back