A little money to spend!

Discussion in 'Lighting and Hardware' started by tom_bond88, Apr 20, 2012.

1. tom_bond88

tom_bond88 New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Hey guys this is my first post on a forum, hope it's in the rights place sorry if not!

Just sold my old camera and have around £375 to spend, I'm looking at getting some new lighting equipment, and wondering what to go for. I have a Nikon d7000 and 1 flashgun, and thinking of going for a sb700 with a light stand and shoot through umbrella, so I can try out some new lighting stuff! Just wondering what you all think? Should I save a bit more and go for the sb910? Are umbrellas really worth it? Or should I leave out the second flash and invest in something else? Have a 50 1.8 and a kit lens atm! Any advice or links to good priced reliable gear would be mucky appreciated.
  2. Netskimmer

Netskimmer New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +221 / 0
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    I don't know much about studio lighting but if 375 pounds is your budget then I think you are going to exceed that budget just a bit.
  3. tom_bond88

tom_bond88 New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Yea I understand studio equipment is expensive, but I'm just looking at getting some portable lighting, and wondered what peoples experiences with cheaper flashguns and stands are?
  4. Netskimmer

Netskimmer New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +221 / 0
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Well, I misread your first post. I thought you had just sold your old camera and wanted to get a D7000 and some lighting equipment. Sorry about that, I haven't had my coffee yet. :D
  5. STM

STM New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +72 / 0
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    What exactly are you looking to achieve with this new lighitng equipment? What kind of images are you looking to take?

A single strobe and umbrella is a very limited setup if you are looking to do any kind of studio work. Out of curiousity, where did you hear or read that "shoot through" umbrellas are the way to go?

If you could give us more information, perhaps we could be of more help.
  6. tom_bond88

tom_bond88 New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I'm not looking at doing any studio work just wanting them for some model shoots on location! I already have 1 so this will be my second but with a stand, I haven't heard anything about them Tbh but this one I was looking at has the option of adding a black/gold/silver lining, the last shoot I did I only had my 1 flashgun and had it connected through ttl cable got some great results and the client was really really happy, but i was looking at something to improve and make it easier and figured having the 2 lights off camera would be more beneficial, so was just looking or peoples advice / own setups and experiences!
  7. JeremyDueckPhoto

JeremyDueckPhoto New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    My Photos Are NOT OK to Edit
    The SB910 and the SB700 are good lights. Expensive compared to manual speedlights but I like the ability to use High Speed Sync using using the built-in IR system that comes with those flashes and camera. If you shoot at higher ISO levels there is a good amount of power output for the speedlights, especially the 910.

I have a big shoot this weekend for several hundred youth sports photos and I'll use (2) Nikon SB800s and the SB700 a lot because they are really portable. Be careful though when you are outside the umbrellas become great wind catchers. I did a test shooting through an umbrella compared to the included modifiers. The modifiers softened the light much like a shoot through. If you want to change the speedlights dramatically use a reflective umbrella or softbox.

Overall, the speedlights are great when you work within their boundaries. For on-location stuff its easier for me to change batteries than it is to lug around a generator, gas, power cord (especially if it rains) for my home powered strobes. Could get battery strobes but IMO the speedlights are still nice.

Speedlights: ultimate portability and some great options such as HSS
    Studio strobes: more powerful but less portable, better modifiers IMO, more professional light quality with large modifiers etc...
  8. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +1,740 / 0
    My Photos Are NOT OK to Edit
    Welcome aboard. And no, it wasn't in the right place. We have a Lighting Equipment section and you were in the digital section. Fixed.
  9. tom_bond88

tom_bond88 New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Thank you very much for this info its helped me a lot! I have a mini studio set up at home already it's a very basic cheap set up but don't need to use it a lot and it's suitable when I do! I think I will go for the sb700 and maybe purchase a third in a month or so thanks again for your help much appreciated!
  10. Mach0

Mach0 TPF Supporters

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +388 / 0
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    I don't have an sb700 but keep in mind you will need something strong enough to fire through the modifier. If you are shooting in stronger light, I would get a stronger flash. Especially for HSS. For that price, I'd get a sb900 or sb800 and a one transmitter/ receiver kit from pixel king.
  11. analog.universe

analog.universe New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +330 / 0
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Not really equipment specific, but the discussion of theory over at Strobist should give you a better idea of what you need to get to do what you want. It's also just a great site for learning about lighting with off camera speedlights.
  12. Mike_E

Mike_E Well-Known Member

The Upper West Side of Mississippi (you have no i
    Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +251 / 0
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Research the better -off brands. Nissin and Yongnuo are well spoken of. If you're going to get a shoot through look into a Brolly, you can bring it in much closer to the camera without washing out.

Also be sure to get a couple of reflectors and stands (getting a 22", 42" and a 48'x72" 5in1 with stands might actually be a better idea than another flash at this point).
  13. tom_bond88

tom_bond88 New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Thanks for all your advice so far guys, given me a lot to think about!!
  14. tom_bond88

tom_bond88 New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Think I may just get 1 sb910 for now and use my tripod as a stand, then slowly build up equipment like proper stands and umbrellas/soft boxes,
  15. gsgary

gsgary Well-Known Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +2,118 / 1
    My Photos Are OK to Edit