A little silly :P

Discussion in 'The Professional Gallery' started by JimmyJaceyMom, Aug 14, 2007.

1. JimmyJaceyMom

JimmyJaceyMom TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I did these today and I thought they turned out cute. Project was to try to get pictures properly exposed using only natural light. No flash or anything else. I chose a window in my dining room and well, I got too many blowouts. I don't know how to do it yet I guess but these aren't comlete garbage I guess.. Or are they. I don't know. You tell me. That's why I'm putting them on! LOL

All were with 18-55mm at f4.5 ISO 800 What am I doing wrong here, do you know?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  2. CrazyAva

CrazyAva TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Some of these are very nice. One thing you can do is try taking the ISO down. Also, your f stop. Just fiddle with the settings a bit, I bet if you just changed your f stop that would make a nice difference.

I think that last one is perfect.

3. hudsonp

hudsonp TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    all of them are great shots, very cool concept. i really like #5

4. Beccy

Beccy TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I love #5! What a perfect expression!

5. zendianah

zendianah TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I love all the pics. The expressions are so cute.. The shots are fun. Good job !

6. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Cute idea, I think it worked out well.

As for lighting, it looks pretty good (isn't window light great?) Don't forget that you can use a reflector (or just about anything) to reflect some light back onto your shadowy side of your subject.

7. NJMAN

NJMAN TPF Noob!

Far beyond the bowels of human existence...Minneso
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I also think the concept is cute, but Im not sure about the crooked glasses and crooked clip-on tie. It might be more effective if the glasses and tie were straightened first. Just my opinion. I would have to say that my favorite is #2 because the focus on the eyes is outstanding!!

Well done kathi! :thumbup:

NJ

8. elsaspet

elsaspet TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Wow, those are great. I love the idea!

9. JimmyJaceyMom

JimmyJaceyMom TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I had my ISO lower and then it wasnt fast enough - shutter speed still gives me a headache!! :)
    My lens won't do any better than 4.5. :( However I got an email yesterday from B$H and my 1.8 is on the way!!! I am so excited and feel like I have waited forever! :)

hudsonpall of them are great shots, very cool concept. i really like #5

Thanks, I'm glad you think so. :)

BeccyI love #5! What a perfect expression!

zendianahI love all the pics. The expressions are so cute.. The shots are fun. Good job !

Thanks for the comments. These were a lot of fun to take, I'm surprised there wasn't more camera shake in them becase we were laughing like crazy when we did them. :)

Big MikeCute idea, I think it worked out well.

As for lighting, it looks pretty good (isn't window light great?) Don't forget that you can use a reflector (or just about anything) to reflect some light back onto your shadowy side of your subject.

Thank you - Yes I do like the window light and I forgot all about using a reflector - doh! I just also need to figure out where to meter to at least avoid some of the blowouts. It was driving me crazy!

NJMANI also think the concept is cute, but Im not sure about the crooked glasses and crooked clip-on tie. It might be more effective if the glasses and tie were straightened first. Just my opinion. I would have to say that my favorite is #2 because the focus on the eyes is outstanding!!

Well done kathi! :thumbup:

NJ

Hey there, thanks for the comments, :) THis is actually my son and um, embarassingly enough those are MY glasses. HAHA They don't go straight, they actually look like that when I wear them too. :blushing: They're 10 years old but I always wear my contacts so I always find something better to buy than a new pair.
    I knew I had a bit of time to do the natural light shots and rather than just take some of him sitting there by the window I quickly threw together the idea.
    That newspaper is two years old - my husband saved it the sports section from when Pittsburgh won the Superbowl.
    I may try it again when I have the right props. hee hee.

elsaspetWow, those are great. I love the idea!
    Thanks a lot I appreciate the comments. :)

10. woodsac

woodsac TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Some cute shots :)

You got some good advice and you're on the right track.
    Meter for the brightest spot on his face. That's where the reflector comes in! Just go buy a 2x3 piece of foamboard from walmart for about $3. Or you can make your own. Just wrap some aluminum foil around a large piece of cardboard. Maybe wrinkle it up a bit to give it some texture.
    By metering the bright spot, you'll avoid the blowouts, and the reflector will give you that extra light you need open up the shadows.

11. JimmyJaceyMom

JimmyJaceyMom TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Hi. You know I have a reflector and I just completely didn't think about it for some reason- (scatterbrain) I wasn't sure where I was supposed to meter and I thought that if I metered on the bright spot it would underexpose the rest so I didn't do that. oops, trial and error I guess I should have tried it antway.
    Thanks for the tips and comments. :)

When I get my 1.8 I will try again, it should be here tomorrow. yay!