A little trick I wanted to share

rdzmzda

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok so I shoot jpeg and raw formats right so i have two of every picture I take so imagine my frustration when im going throught them wanting to see what to keep what to throw away etc....
so im using windows vista and here is my lil trick that hoepfully will help out those like me...im sure there is also a way to do this with xp just not as easy ok so go to you picture folder and in the upper right hand corner there is the search bar just type in .j and it will show all the jpegs :D with windows xp do the same similar thing just you have to go to the actual search feature.....
anyways hope this is helpful i would do screenshot and the whole 9 but well im hoping if you can figure out a slr you can figure out my simple instructions

Pretty good idea, may have to use this to sort through my pictures from now on.

In XP you can just go to the top of the window and click on 'Type', and all the files will be sorted by type. Same think accomplished.

hmmmm well there ya go....i guess they changed that in vista because i cant....well i want to modfiy not hey xp users just click type and ur good....ummm however fellow vista users...i think this method may work for ya :D

all your doing is keeping the jpeg's? then why are you shooting in raw+jpeg?

no im keeping the raws but when i want to see what all i shot if i just select all i get doubles of pictures not to mention the raws can take forever to load....however if i bring up the jpegs and go through those then edit the raw files once i find the ones i like

Vista still has all the options for sorting and grouping that XP had - its just that they are hidden behind a menu option; try this:

Open the folder with the RAWs and JPEGs -
right click in empty white space in the folder and go to sort or groups (note that sort just orders the photos, whilst groups places a line between the different types - group is better for dividing RAWs and JPEGs as you get a difinate marked point where they change)
At the bottom of the menu for sort or group there is the option - more
Click on this and you get a long list of options to sort files by - just tick the ones you want for that folder and then they will be avaible in the menu the next time you select it.

Downside is that I have noticed that vista has a poor memory for remembering what folders are ordered by and will sometimes drop what ever ordering you have in favour of one of its own - this is something I have encountered and I don't know what causes it- you might not be so unlucky ;)

wow thanks your method is even better than mine jeez i was so happy to cause i found a fix to my issue....hey on a side note overread do you like that sigma lens? is it ef mount?

Yep its EF canon mount and full frame compatable as well.
As for likings I love it - possibly more than my 70-200mm!

Its a good solid choice for macro - but there are other options. For me this was the one I considered best.
However consider that there is:

Canon EFS 60mm macro - only downsides are that its crop sensor camera only and its short focal length which can make it tricky to use with insects as you have to get very close

Canon 100mm macro - workhorse of many a macro photographer - its only downsides are that canon sell it without a lens hood or tripod collar - both of which are really important parts and should be bought (especially the hood)

Tamron 90mm macro - the shortest lens recomended for insect work this is another sharp lens and a good option.

Sigma 70mm - Possibly sigma's sharpest lens, a very fine macro lens - again its only downside is a shorter focal lenght making it tricky for insects.

Sigma 105mm macro - again another good option to choose. Note that this lens and the 70mm do exend as they focus - that can be a bit of a problem sometimes if you spook an insect with it - it also means that it eats into your working distance.

Sigma 150mm macro - Massive advantages over the other sigma options this has inner focusing (lens does not change length as it focuses); EX finish (sigmas highest build quality); teleconverter compatability (for even longer focal lengths and increased magnification - I often use a 1.4 teleconverter with mine and its great for smaller insects); HSM motors - better and quieter AF - not really a bonus for macro work but good for other things.
This is also the longest macro (for canon) which can be used handheld

Sigma 180mm macro - like the 150mm macro in its features, but this one is a bit heavy *generally ) for prolonged handheld work and is a better tripod lens. Its also often chosen as an alternative to the canon 180mm L macro as its much cheaper and still achives the same image quality as the canon. Though its a little less solidly built than the canon build quality is still high

Overall the options for macro shooting are pretty much all sharp lenses and will work well for macro work. Good results are possible with all the lenses with enough practise.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back