A Lucky Break - Canon 5D mark ii

jamiebonline

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all

So I am back after not shooting for a while. I basically ran low on funds and sold my Nikon gear. The little I had of it by then...

Now a relative in my family has given me his Canon 5D ii ... to borrow. It had been used professionally by a friend of his who didn't want it anymore. (?) So I got lucky! It seems easy enough to operate after having the Nikon D7000. Actually I really like it! First ff camera also. I don't notice anything obviously wrong with it either.

I tried to check the shutter count but couldn't use the online facility I used before. Can someone help please? Thanks

I suppose many of you still use this machine. I need to learn something about Canon like inexpensive primes and what you think of the lens I got with it. It's the 28-135 3.5-5.6 macro (It needs a lens hood but that should be easy to get ?)
opinions, experiences, comments are welcome ;)

You can't go wrong with the new nifty fifty "50mm 1.8"

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

The 85mm f1.8 is relatively inexpensive. It is regarded as an excellent lens by most, including me

Nice! An EXIF reader should be able to show your shutter count as well.

Ohhhh you got my favorite brand of camera...............FREE :1219:

5D II is still a nice camera, old but still capable, enjoy it :)

Hi all

So I am back after not shooting for a while. I basically ran low on funds and sold my Nikon gear. The little I had of it by then...

Now a relative in my family has given me his Canon 5D ii ... to borrow. It had been used professionally by a friend of his who didn't want it anymore. (?) So I got lucky! It seems easy enough to operate after having the Nikon D7000. Actually I really like it! First ff camera also. I don't notice anything obviously wrong with it either.

I tried to check the shutter count but couldn't use the online facility I used before. Can someone help please? Thanks

I suppose many of you still use this machine. I need to learn something about Canon like inexpensive primes and what you think of the lens I got with it. It's the 28-135 3.5-5.6 macro (It needs a lens hood but that should be easy to get ?)

you can get a shutter count thru Magic Lantern and other programs like eoscount.com
Free Shutter Count Download

I'll second the 50mm and or 85 or go longer with the 100mm 2.8 (non-L)

Last edited:
Hi all

you can get a shutter count thru Magic Lantern and other programs like eoscount.com

Hey, thanks! this worked for me mainly cause I found the USB cable for it. Otherwise no. The shutter count is ...

42,964 - not bad at all ! ;)

Hi all

Hey, thanks! this worked for me mainly cause I found the USB cable for it. Otherwise no. The shutter count is ...

you should get many more future clicks - I think the 'expected shutter life" is 250,000

Hi all

Only broken in. I had a 1d2 that I bought once with 440,000 on it. Still worked great

It is not possible to read the shutter count via an image. Canon does not imbed the data into the image EXIF (I think Nikon does, but Canon does not.)

If a camera is sent in to Canon service (e.g. CPS = Canon Professional Service) and you request it, they'll tell you what your shutter count is. But they don't have any utility that comes with the camera that reads it (I've never quite understood why that is).

Dire Studio makes a utility named "Shutter Count" which can read it. I use it on all my Canon bodies (it technically does not support _every_ Canon body, but it does support the 5D II). There's a version available for both Mac or Windows.

Although it's an older body, I still like the 5D II. It was the first camera body I owned where I wasn't afraid to crank up the ISO. Yes, newer cameras are even better, but it was no slouch and considering how long ago it was ... this was an awesome camera for it's time and it's STILL a really good camera.

The focus system is very basic (9 point AF and only the center point is cross-type). As such, it's not a great camera for any sort of sports/action photography. But everything else about it is great.

Most reactions

Back