The_Traveler

Completely Counter-dependent
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.lewlortonphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
A man walks into his doctor's examining room and sits on the edge of the examining table.

"What can I do for you." asks the doctor.

"Well," the man says in an arrogant way, "I'm paying for this and you've had lot's of training. You tell me."

The doctor is taken aback, but then leafs through the chart, takes a good look at the man and sits back down.

"Well," says the doctor, "You're ugly, unpleasant, overweight and don't pay your medical bills. You have bad breath and ugly teeth. Your taste in clothes is horrible and your wife patted me on the behind before I came into this office.

I can see by the records your daughter is drug-addicted and pregnant for the third time with no hint of who the father is. Your son is a certified moron, has drug-resistant STDs and is a butt-boy in our local jail. Aside from that, I have no idea why you're here today."
----------------------------------------------------

Well, when I open a posting and I see a link to a website or 5 or 6 links to photos and the only question is, "Tell me what you think", I think of that joke and go on to the next posting.

People here are at all different skill levels ranging beginners to seasoned masters in photography, the arts and live.

People here are at all different skill levels ranging beginners to seasoned masters in photography, the arts and live.

I agree completely.

The point of life I am at now is that I do only what suits me and doesn't inconvenience me greatly. I try very hard to give critique appropriate to the poster's level and to be friendly, cordial and clear when I respond.

When asked both to guess the question and formulate the answer, I gently pass on without negative comment. I leave those more difficult exercises to those with the time and inclination.

Well, when I open a posting and I see a link to a website or 5 or 6 links to photos and the only question is, "Tell me what you think", I think of that joke and go on to the next posting.

I KNOW! But I try to remember the poster may be new to all of this. I still get calls that begin with, "How much is an 8x10?" I figure that's all they know to ask and go from there. Admittedly, it sometimes doesn't go much further, but often times, my patience pays off.

Pete

Traveler, this marks the third thread you've started where you have let your opinions on how people ask for C&C be known. Perhaps it is time to drop this line of commentary.

Traveler, this marks the third thread you've started where you have let your opinions on how people ask for C&C be known. Perhaps it is time to drop this line of commentary.

All those who agree say I. 'I'.

If you have such a problem offering critque then simply do not click on anything that says 'What do you think' 'How can I change this' etc.

Critique has it's own section.. and yes some people post in inappropriate places. A sign that they are TOTALLY new to this forum for one and most likely new to photography as well.

It's like when you go into the doctors office and get the feeling that you're being rushed and he just doesnt give a shoot anymore... He's in the wrong place.

Everyone here clearly understands your frusterations by now.

We are all friends here. The diversity of the members is the strength of this forum. Soon you will see that the people who post "neato" or whatever have amazing photos. Of course that is what it all come down to. Great photography. With any kind of luck words become useless.

We are all friends here. The diversity of the members is the strength of this forum. Soon you will see that the people who post "neato" or whatever have amazing photos. Of course that is what it all come down to. Great photography. With any kind of luck words become useless.

And with great photography, sometimes all you can say is, "Wow," and even that seems like too much.

Like Christie said - a total novice might not know about exposure, bracketing, contrast etc and simply posts a picture for some "expert" eyes to have a look at. I don't believe there is anything wrong with simply asking "what do you think of this?"

If the photographer specifically asks potential critiquers to look at any of the above then the crit may be biased towards those points when in fact there may be nothing wrong with them.

How else should a person ask for a crit/advice?

Most reactions

Back