A Medium-Format and a Massive Zoom

End Game

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.danielswebpage.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
First off, if anyone out there has one, I'd like to know whether or not it's worth getting a medium-format camera. You know, those 50lb "things" that give you 22MP or higher? And also, I'm looking for a really good zoom for my XTi-something like 50-450. I'm not one of the guys who knows everything about every camera and every lens *But thank god for the people who do* so I need some opinions.

large format view cameras will give you better quality than any medium format camera, film or digital. They are also able to shift and tilt at the same time, both the front and back.

If you're not sure about MF with a digital back you should probably rent one before buying. With lenses etc you're looking at $15,000+ very quickly.

Regarding zooms, that seems like a really long range... and chances are that even if such a lens was available, it wouldn't be very good. I'm also not quite the qear-head, but chances are that zoom doesn't really exist. HOWEVER - I gather there are some nice 75-300mm lenses. Check out Canon's products, but also look at Sigma and Tamron lenses.

As almost always in gear-related matters, the question is how flexible is your budget.

YIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!!! 15k????? OOOOOK...that puts the MF and LF out for now. And thanks for the advice on lenses, I'll go check it out.

Large format isn't 15,000. 10,000 is for the DIGITAL medium format.

For less than $2,000 and you can get a brand new 4x5 camera system.

Large format isn't 15,000. 10,000 is for the DIGITAL medium format.

For less than $2,000 and you can get a brand new 4x5 camera system.

that give you 22MP or higher

He is talking MP .. so he is talking of MF with digital back ... and 10-15k is the lower end here.

Of course film is way cheaper, and used you get nice systems way below 2k these days.

Well, you could spend much more if you wanted :p

Wow...well, I guess I'm not getting an MF any time soon, so I guess all the money that I had for the MF is going to go into the zoom and a boatload of new filters. *Been wanting them forever*

What's wrong with film? digital isn't the holy grail it's made up to be yet.

There is so much more color information on a slide of Velvia than any digital contraption can crank out.

What's wrong with film? digital isn't the holy grail it's made up to be yet.

There is so much more color information on a slide of Velvia than any digital contraption can crank out.

nothing wrong with film.
but if someone wants digital, that is his decision.

I am a Velvia shooter myself, but I nevertheless enjoy my digital camera.

About wanting a 50-450mm zoom... Sigma have a 50-500mm (sometimes known as the "Bigma") if you really need to cover that range with only one lens... and if you're willing to carry it around.

Are you really sure you want a 4.1 pound lens for all your shooting. Not the most comfortable hand hold lens in the world. It's also not the fastest thing in the world for low light stuff with a range of f4-6.3. No IS to assist in hand holding the thing in low light.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...Zoom_Normal_Telephoto_50_500mm_f_4_0_6_3.html

Before you spend money on glass that you may not like or really use I would suggest that you learn more about lenses and get a feel for what you need for the kinds of photography you do. The 400-500mm range is not something most people would use. Learn the different types of lenses and their purpose and you will have a foundation for choosing good glass for your camera. Here is a good place to start.

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/camera-lenses.htm

Nice little article in another forum:

http://dpchallenge.com/forum.php?action=read&FORUM_THREAD_ID=421792&highlight=lens buying guide

One thing to keep in mind. You get what you pay for and good lenses, properly cared for will last you a lifetime of camera bodies.

Gryphon-This isn't going to be used for ALL of my photos *But a hell of alot* This is just part of a shopping spree that I'm planning to go on in a few months. Of course I know something will happen, say, my parents suddenly hand me the bill to the house and I have to pay the rent for the last 6 months or something. I wouldn't be surprised. So many things have gone wrong whenever I try to do this. And John, film is a big no-no for me.

And by the way, If anyone looks at my profile, I'm only 13-so how can I afford all this? I just do a hell of a lot of work-dats all.

Most reactions

Back