A month in Sabah, Malaysia

Becky

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I've just returned from a month of adventure and volunteering in the heart of Sabah, Borneo, in Malaysia. SUCH an amazing time I can't even begin to describe, but I'll have a go at summarising the trip with some photos (...ok well quite a few photos, but I did well reducing them to this considering theres literally hundreds and hundreds!!!).

I used a combination of my dSLR and only one lens (gasp horror) and a small Pentax Optio A10 I bought in London Heathrow when leaving, which I managed to sit on and smash less than a week later... so it wasnt much use!!

<<<<I'd like to apologise/swear at photobox for once more resizing all my photos, some huge some tiny.... sorry guys.>>>>

Upon arrival in Borneo we spent a week a Jungle Camp, training and swimming... typical adventure stuff. A day long jungle trek led us deep into the jungle where we put up our own hammocks and got a good nights kip! I incidentally set my slr bag down at the top of a hill and watched it tumble about half a mile into a tree.... oops... but it survived!!

1. Jungle Camp

Bridge.jpg

2. Fun in the river

Waterfight.jpg

A week later we left in our groups to our project sites. My group was to complete half of a school library build in approx 3 weeks. We stayed on the school grounds and spent loooads of time with the locals and gorgeous children.

3. Overwhelming welcome

Meandkids1.jpg

4. They got used to us being around after about 15 minutes...!!

Meandkids2.jpg

5. I'm sure I'm in there somewhere...

Meandkids.jpg

6. Kids at break time

kidsinhut.jpg

meandkids1copy.jpg

Child10.jpg

Child9.jpg

Child8.jpg

Child7.jpg

Child6.jpg

Child5.jpg

Child3.jpg

I met some great new people/made a lot of friends...

Dancer.jpg

17. Me with one of our leaders.
Meandjane.jpg

Circlelyingdown.jpg

19. And we built more than our fair share of library!
Lastday.jpg

Saw some beautiful places and cute stray dog/huge butterflies and dragonflies hehe!!

Topofhillview.jpg

21. Beautiful river running through the jungle
RiverinJungle.jpg

22. Skinny stray
Straydog.jpg

Dragonflyred.jpg

Dragonfly.jpg

25. Butterfly - each wing was the size of a hand
Butterfly.jpg

Apologies for so many photos, they're not necessarily the better ones at all, but I feel they best describe my experience which I'm still buzzing from! Thanks for looking!!

Looks like an incredible time....#8's probably my favourite, her look and the composition is fabulous. I'll be honest, I'm not a huge fan of people/insect shots, but I think you've done a good job of capturing the place with these. Not that I've seen it firsthand, but it makes me want to go :)

Really great photo's. #8 and #10 are my picks.As you say they capture a story of your trip. Reminds me of when i trekked in Nepal a few years ago, now where did i put those photo's??

Thanks everyone for the comments!

Yeh you're right actually it is a moth... I remember now in Koto Kinabalu airport on my way home seeing the exact same one dead and framed, and label was something moth!!

Looks like you had a great time. Nice shots, thanks for sharing.

nice photos, everyone loks like they hada lot of fun

...now, what's the difference between a moth and a butterfly??

Different species, like rats and mice I guess!!

Here's the difference.
Species is the last classification, so that's how each kind of rat differs from other kinds of rats: Black Rat Rattus rattus vs. Brown Rat Rattus norvegicus. They are both of the genus Rattus. Both rats and mice are of the order Rodentia and the family Muridae, so they branch at genus level. Both butterflies and moths are of the order Lepidoptera, but they branch at the family level.

More than you wanted to know, I'm sure.

Most reactions

Back