A new body/lens?

nojayno

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,
I'm from the Netherlands and i have some questions.
I am just a mom who loves to take photos of her kids and i take photos for my blog.
I used for a long time the camera of my dad the Canon 1100D with the standard kit lens and the 50mm lens.
It was oke, but sometimes i was not very happy with this camera.
Completely after I used the camera from a friend what was much better.
Much sharper, and performed much better in low light.
I photograph almost always inside.

Now I'm looking for any new body or new lens which performs well indoors with sometimes low light.

Should I upgrade to the 750D or 760D or 80D?
I was thinking of two lenses:
24-70mm 2.8 or 85mm 1.8

I chose these two because I shoot many interiors,and with the 50mm is that very hard to do.
These lenses also strong light? also at the 1100D? or should i go upgrade for a better result?

And i have one more question,
I post a lot on instagram but the pictures are so blurry when i upload them,
While other people have razor sharp photos without pixel particles.
Maybe you have a tip for that?
I resize them in lightroom to 1080 pixels but they still remain blurry.:-(

Here for example my ig page:

http://instagram.com/momoftherebels

And this two below from others, do you see the differents?
My pics on IG are so blurry and unsharp while their photos are so sharp with no pixels ?
Is it about the camera and lens i use? is it about my 'white feed' that is the theme of my IG page or do you know what it is ? it irritates me very much haha

Instagram photo by Mom (Kim) & toddler (Senne) • Sep 27, 2016 at 6:10pm UTC

Interior ➕ fashion for minis (@coteriekids) • Instagram photos and videos

sorry for all the questions and my poor english but I hope you can help me.

Get the Canon t6i with Sigma 17-50mm 2.8
Good modern camera and the lens is reasonably priced and is very sharp and fast enough for your needs.

Good modern camera and the lens is reasonably priced and is very sharp and fast enough for your needs.

I totally agree that the Canon 750D (Canon Rebel T6i in some countries) is your best bet for a reasonably price entry level DSLR.

If you are taking portraits, a prime lens would deliver very sharp images. I'd suggest the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art which is mostly used by pros in doing portait, studio and street photography. It's also great for low light photography. For interior shoots, I would suggest going for a wide angle lens like the Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Lens.

Ah thank you!
Is it a big differents between de 750D and the 760D?
I saw that the 750D and the 760D are both 24 megapixels and they both has 5 fps
I only saw that the 750D performes better in low light (915 vs 915) for what i saw online.

My canon 1100D now has only 12 megapixels and also a lower focal point and lower ISO and of course this camera is very slow.

I go look for that lens,someone i know has that lens too.
Is it good for low light situations?
And will fit my 50mm 1.8 from canon on the 750D body?

and do you have any answers about my instagram issues?
have you seen a difference in my view and that of the other? it may be because I edit them in Photoshop for my white instagram theme?

Thanks a lot!!

I totally agree that the Canon 750D (Canon Rebel T6i in some countries) is your best bet for a reasonably price entry level DSLR.

If you are taking portraits, a prime lens would deliver very sharp images. I'd suggest the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art which is mostly used by pros in doing portait, studio and street photography. It's also great for low light photography. For interior shoots, I would suggest going for a wide angle lens like the Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Lens.
Honestly, no need to get such expensive 50mm lens, the Sigma is awesome but an overkill for most people, Canon 50mm f1.8 is probably more then enough and will cost far less.

Ah thank you!
Is it a big differents between de 750D and the 760D?
I saw that the 750D and the 760D are both 24 megapixels and they both has 5 fps
I only saw that the 750D performes better in low light (915 vs 915) for what i saw online.

My canon 1100D now has only 12 megapixels and also a lower focal point and lower ISO and of course this camera is very slow.

I go look for that lens,someone i know has that lens too.
Is it good for low light situations?
And will fit my 50mm 1.8 from canon on the 750D body?

and do you have any answers about my instagram issues?
have you seen a difference in my view and that of the other? it may be because I edit them in Photoshop for my white instagram theme?

Thanks a lot!!
I believe you are asking about the t6i and t6s

Not a Canon expert but I believe the main differences are better AF, second command dial and a second screen at top of camera.
These are very ncie extra features, I would want them but the main basics are same between the 2 cameras, both has same sensor and same imaging processing so you can expect identical image quality, low light performance.
So if you tight on cash the t6i is just fine for you.

Not a Canon expert but I believe the main differences are better AF, second command dial and a second screen at top of camera.
These are very ncie extra features, I would want them but the main basics are same between the 2 cameras, both has same sensor and same imaging processing so you can expect identical image quality, low light performance.

Thanks! Yes here they call them the 750D and the 760D.
Always hard to choose the right thing haha
i love your pictures btw, so clean and sharp!

Thank you, that's very nice of you :)
All shot with Nikon, maybe consider getting a Nikon ? Wink, Wink Nudge, Nudge LOL

My pics on IG are so blurry and unsharp while their photos are so sharp with no pixels ?.
Hello, and welcome!

Sharp photographs depend on several factors:

Your technique. You should know your camera and how to operate it. This includes the focal point being placed on the subject, (usually the eyes or whatever is the most critical spot), and keeping the shutter speed fast enough to eliminate the effects of camera shake blur.

The lens. Some lenses are just sharper than others. Do some testing and comparing to find out if your lens needs adjusting or replacing. Borrow or rent several other lenses with which to compare your present lens. Do the testing using scientific method. (controlled conditions) Test at various focal lengths, and be sure to take a close look at all areas of the photographs.

Don't get hung up on how many pixels a particular camera has, as that is not going to make a huge difference. The real differences will be the manufacturer of the sensor, the technology of the sensor (how old, etc.) and the camera firmware. Be aware that your post-capture editing will usually require some final sharpening before the image will be at the sharpest.

Thank you, that's very nice of you :)
All shot with Nikon, maybe consider getting a Nikon ? Wink, Wink Nudge, Nudge LOL

Haha i have thinking about it
But then i need a new 50mm lens too haha but maybe i do the upgrade to Nikon, i have read a lot good things about Nikon and i think they are always one step before in the photogtaphy world

My pics on IG are so blurry and unsharp while their photos are so sharp with no pixels ?.
Hello, and welcome!

Sharp photographs depend on several factors:

Your technique. You should know your camera and how to operate it. This includes the focal point being placed on the subject, (usually the eyes or whatever is the most critical spot), and keeping the shutter speed fast enough to eliminate the effects of camera shake blur.

The lens. Some lenses are just sharper than others. Do some testing and comparing to find out if your lens needs adjusting or replacing. Borrow or rent several other lenses with which to compare your present lens. Do the testing using scientific method. (controlled conditions) Test at various focal lengths, and be sure to take a close look at all areas of the photographs.

Don't get hung up on how many pixels a particular camera has, as that is not going to make a huge difference. The real differences will be the manufacturer of the sensor, the technology of the sensor (how old, etc.) and the camera firmware. Be aware that your post-capture editing will usually require some final sharpening before the image will be at the sharpest.

Wauw thanks for your reaction.
I think i go try out the 17-55 2.8 lens and the 24-70mm and the 85 1.8F

The sensor of the canon 1100D is not very good right?

And how do you make your pics sharper for instagram?

The sensor of the canon 1100D is not very good right?

And how do you make your pics sharper for instagram?
I don't know anything about Canon products.

When you are editing on your computer, you can add just a bit of sharpening before exporting the photo.

Theres a lot of effects that can cause unsharp images, for example:

- Missed focus: if the desired focus point was missed, which can be caused by a multitude of factors, depending upon what focusing technique has been used (manual or autofocus).

- Too close focus: all lenses have a limit about how close they can focus, though some lenses can basically get their front element in focus. This has frequently caused me to miss shots with telephoto lenses.

- Insufficient aperture: if a lot of depth of field is needed, for example for a group shot, depending upon the focal length chosen, the aperture has to be properly closed down.

- Camera shake: too slow shutterspeed for the level of hand holding technique (including for example leaning against a solid wall, useage of a monopod etc) used as well as the quality of image stabilization available (optics based, sensor based, or purely digital). This issue can be elimited completely though the use of a sturdy enough tripods (too cheap/weak ones might still shake, killing long time exposures) or other stable supports for the camera (such as simply placing it on the ground, or expensive and complex solutions for video that allow smooth movements).

- Camera vibration: some cameras are known to have the issue that the shutter and/or mirror mechanism makes the camera shake. This is especially serious with macro photography when even slight movements of the camera cause drastic blurr. Thats why macro photographers use delayed exposures, causing the mirror of DSLRs to get to a halt before doing the exposure.

- Movement blurr: if the subject photographed moves too quickly for the shutter speed chosen. For people standing around, I choose 1/125 sec, though in low light I might reduce to 1/60 sec, or even 1/30 sec if the people are sitting and the light is really, really poor. For sports, the minimum shutter speed is pretty much 1/500 sec, except if panning techniques are used.

- High ISO: depending upon camera and the ISO chosen, noise will be added to the picture. Combined with the fact that most cameras have noise reduction images, the final result will look increasingly less pleasing the higher the ISO gets.

- Poor lens: some lenses are really poor quality. They wont really turn sharp, ever. Most lenses reach their maximum sharpness when stopped down about two stops. Really good lenses are very sharp wide open already.

- Off center subject: acceptable lenses are already sharp enough in the middle of the image area, even wide open, otherwise it makes no sense to have the aperture setting available in the first place. Placing a subject at the border or even the edge while the lens is wide open may make it visible that the lens is a lot less sharp under these conditions.

- Bent focus plane: if the subject in question is straight but the lens itself has a bent focus plane, only parts of the subject will actually be in focus. This actually can be a desireable property of a lens. For example the Zeiss Distagon 28mm f2 has this property, which is one of the reasons why this lens is nicknamed "Hollywood": if the subject is in the center of the frame, thanks to the bent focus plane, other subjects left and right to it are more out of focus then it would usually be possible with a wide angle lens and the given depth of field, causing the image to look more dramatic.

- Diffraction: stopping down a lens brutally beyond the point of diffraction will turn ANY lens soft due to the unavoidable laws of physics. Modern high resolution sensors hit this point usually between f/5.6 and f/8, and it gets really visible from f/16 on. It should be noted that cameras with really small sensors are always diffraction limited, even wide open.

- Poor microcontrast: if a lens has poor microcontrast, for example because of too many lens elements, increasing amounts of light will be reflected around and kill details in the image, even if the lens still appears sharp.

- Decentering: that lens made an unpleasant encounter with gravity and is now no longer properly set up.

- Fungus, Haze, serious dirt etc: there is some serious dirt on the lenses themselves causing image quality degradation. Light is pretty tolerant of dust though.

- Flare: strong light sources in the picture can cause a massive loss in contrast and details. Basically everything turns white and pale. Lens constructors can greatly reduce such effects for example with nanocoating.

- Useage of poor filters. Low quality filters will cause serious image quality degradation.

Most reactions

Back