A new father

Ballistics

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
34155554830_58910c457b_z.jpg

I do mind that his left side of the body fades out to the background, and his right arm is too light

An emotional image. Good job!

I do mind that his left side of the body fades out to the background, and his right arm is too light
Im curious why. I did that to create separation and place emphasis on the babies face.

Last edited:
Lovely moment, nicely caught
I think darkening his tatooed arm, hand and the bright spot in his hair part keeps focus on baby and him looking.
Also suggest giving him a bit of space rather than being right up against margin

upload_2017-5-14_14-30-25.png

Im curious why. I did that to create separation and place emphasis on the babies face.
then, the baby's face should be the brightest part, not his elbow, muscles, and right hand (not the whole right hand)
see what Traveler did

I have to say I disagree with that. The babies face is the brightest point where it is. I'm trying to see the distraction of the brighter elbow but I just don't see it. I appreciate the feedback though.

Adding just that little bit of space below the Dad's elbow, the way The_Traveler did, makes the image feel more peaceful, more in-balance, more "tranquil" if you will. Having a person's elbow or hand or face, whatever, right AT the edge of the frame, causes a visual tension. Sometimes that tension can work, and other times, the tension detracts. Adding that additional bit of space (enlarging the 'canvas' as it is called in PS) is a smart move by The_Traveler.

As to the baby's face being brighter than the Dad's face...that's a 50/50 call I think...toning the face of the baby down increases the baby/Dad harmony, makes them seem connected (more identically-lighted I guess)....leaving the baby's face brighter also works too.

I would consider this image to be a likely candidate for a square crop!

Most reactions

Back