a new forum?

tsien

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello,

I hope there will be a new forum created for the discussion of established works from past master photographers. When vonnagy opened a thread in the critique forum a while ago on a photo shot by Lee Friedlander, I found it enlightening to see. The work seemed to generate considerable interest among other members as well.

The other thing that has been constantly on my mind is the ban imposed on a member called grooski. Under the thread I once opened, he said something that was not entirely polite. As I see it, he was not really personally against anyone, maybe the mediocrity of my photo just left him impatient. He got punished after a burst of "screw you all". I felt sorry for the mess. Now that more than one month has elapsed since the incident, can the ban not go permanent so that he can rejoin our community out of the love for photography?

Finally I salute the creation of this site. An absolutely terrific creation. The best forums I´ve ever seen. Thank you.

tsien,

we appreciate you feeling somewhat sad or responsable for grooski's comments. but the fact of the matter is, HE made those comments out of his own free will. if he were to approach one of us, we might consider it. we are a very tight knit community here at TPF.com, and we strive to keep it that way. THERE WILL BE NO FLAMING OR MALICIOUS COMMENTS HERE. we can save the negative comments for our real lives, because we all know that in real life, everyday situations are alot of the times more malicious...

as far as the new forum, i think it sounds good, and we will see what we can do!

thanks!

matthew

It was very kind of you to get back to me with a speedy reply. I was thinking maybe there were to exist punishments to different degrees pending on the circumstances so arised. But I fully understand it is always within your discretion to judge what is the right action needed to be taken. I respect that.

Thanks again.

thank you for comments tsien,

The user was not banned for comments he said on your thread, rather it was another thread in which he said very vulgar things- several people were offended by his comments in that thread by messaging me. Banning someone is not something we take lightly, its something we all usually discuss before taking action.

I am not sure if there would be enough interest in a master's of photography forum, but we'll toss around the idea and see what people think. But there is nothing stopping anyone from submitting a master of photography photo critique in the critique thread :)

Vonnagy, I just checked the traffic on your first master critique thread. It got 969 hits. That´s already the record as I have so far witnessed here.

Maybe a poll in the main forum would do a good survey? Most members probably are not aware of the idea of creating a new forum.

I´m staying in tuned :lol:

I think it's a great idea. I don't know a lot about any famous photographers, and it would be a great way for me to learn. I agree with the idea about tossing it around in one of the main forums. Maybe a poll? Let the people speak!

MDowdey said:
tsien,
THERE WILL BE NO FLAMING OR MALICIOUS COMMENTS HERE.

matthew

Not even if I said, "I don't wanna talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper! I fart in your general direction! Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!"

Most reactions

Back