A New Tele-Photo Lens

cian.ryan.54

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Hi im Cian

I have been asked to photograph my schools rugby matches and my principal has told me that in return for this that they will buy me a new lens to keep for my Canon eos 40d. I am looking to get a new tele-photo lens which will be paid for by my school. I am in a Private School in Dublin and when i asked if he knew the prices of lenses he said yea they are upwards of €1000. So what i am asking is does anybody have any suggestions for a good tele-photo lens?

Instead of a "upwards of €1000" lens on a 40D body, it might make sense to get a 7D with a 55-250 IS STM or similar lens for your purposes.

I'd say 70-200mm f2.8 lens. Which specific one is up to you and depends upon what kind of budget you end up working with.

The Tamron is getting some fantastic reviews - Canon has their own 70-200mm f2.8 IS L MII which is utterly fantastic without question - there is also the older version of that lens (original ergo no MII) which is sold second hand now and that is a very fine performer. There is also the 70-200mm f2.8 L which has no IS but is a bit cheaper and still a very strong performer (for sports you'll need 1/500sec or faster at the very least so the lack of IS shouldn't be a problem at all as it only counters handshake not subject motion shake - and most people should be able to handhold and get a sharp shot at 1/200sec with a 200mm lens so at 1/500sec or faster you shouldn't have any trouble).

70-200mm f/2.8 lens, all the way!!!!

Most reactions

Back