A Night in the Cemetary

pink_panther

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi peeps,

I have been out this evening with SJ. I have not composed or tried "night shooting" yet, so these are my very first attempts. I will be using some dry ice next time to imitate fog/mist around the bases of the gravestones. Three shots taken using candles placed nearby and one taken with flash.... Your thoughts please.? Please note - These are Low Res images to save on file size.

Attachments

• $graves-005.jpg
    $graves-005.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 147
  • $graves-0011.jpg
    $graves-0011.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 141
  • $graves-0015-web.jpg
    $graves-0015-web.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 120
  • $graves-004-web.jpg
    $graves-004-web.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 118
i say get a tripod for less blur....did u set the camera to the night settings? but i haven't tried night shooting either but these r tips i've heard....practice makes perfect :)

Hi peeps,

I have been out this evening with SJ. I have not composed or tried "night shooting" yet, so these are my very first attempts. I will be using some dry ice next time to imitate fog/mist around the bases of the gravestones. Three shots taken using candles placed nearby and one taken with flash.... Your thoughts please.? Please note - These are Low Res images to save on file size.

I like number 1 best. I have tryed fog and its VERY hard to controll. needs to be tottaly windless still. Or indoor studio. Best affect is with a high end fog machine pumping fog through a chiller packed with dry ice.:thumbup:

Cool shots.
One technique I use when shooting my cemetery at halloween is painting with light. You can control where you want the light to hit on your subject. It takes some practice but is great, cause you can hide the parts you dont want and highlite the parts you need. I have used 10 to 30 second exposures and tried everything from flashlights, to 100w spotlights. What you gotta do is use a flash light to find a focus point...set up a shutter speed, and use a timer or release..
Once the shutter fires..you just hit your subject with light. Ya kinda just move the light around your subject, but watch you dont hit the same spot too many times, or it might blow it out.
I will be shooting some of my fellow haunters sites this halloween, and will post some in the darkside gallery.

Good luck on your reshoot with the fog. :thumbup:

i say get a tripod for less blur....did u set the camera to the night settings? but i haven't tried night shooting either but these r tips i've heard....practice makes perfect :)

The shots were mounted on a tripod, however, focusing at night is really hard, I will remember to take a flash light next time for ease. The shots were used in the manual mode and I used a trial and error method using the bulb setting.

Cool shots.
One technique I use when shooting my cemetery at halloween is painting with light. You can control where you want the light to hit on your subject. It takes some practice but is great, cause you can hide the parts you dont want and highlite the parts you need. I have used 10 to 30 second exposures and tried everything from flashlights, to 100w spotlights. What you gotta do is use a flash light to find a focus point...set up a shutter speed, and use a timer or release..
Once the shutter fires..you just hit your subject with light. Ya kinda just move the light around your subject, but watch you dont hit the same spot too many times, or it might blow it out.
I will be shooting some of my fellow haunters sites this halloween, and will post some in the darkside gallery.

Good luck on your reshoot with the fog. :thumbup:

This is exactly what I ws trying to achieve on some of the shots, I was using a candle to light the subject and cast shadows to add to effect. It didnt quite happen like I was expecting, but practise makes perfect. I have some other shots from the series if you would like to see some more.

#1 was used in manual mode and just a trial and eror shot
#2 same method
#3 full flash with my 580EX
#4 ISO 1600 and a faster exposure to capture the stars on the horizon.

I cant wait to get my hands on the smoke machine or dry ice!

Here is another which I quite liked using candlelight to cast a definative shadow across the face, the effect is purely intentional, but still not sure I cracked it.

Attachments

• $graves-009-web.jpg
    $graves-009-web.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 96
Awesome project. Well exccuted, too.

Many Thanks.

This is just an ongoing experiment, so I am going to try am improve on these shots.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back