A Nikon user looking for info on a Canon body.. Help please!

D-B-J

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So my uncle is looking for a new (or used but still a good body) for general purpose photography. My aunt recently passed away, and she was really into photography, but someone stole the body with a lens, but he still has some lenses left (not sure which ones). What is a good body for about 800-1000? Comprable to the d90 or d7000 maybe? Canon users, please help!

Regards,
Jake

Was your Aunts gear digital or film and if digital any idea what body she was using?
I ask because you've got to consider the sensor size differences in the market - ie the 1.6 crop or the fullframe (35mm) sensors.

In addition 800-1000 what - we need an idea of the currency/country.

Was your Aunts gear digital or film and if digital any idea what body she was using?
I ask because you've got to consider the sensor size differences in the market - ie the 1.6 crop or the fullframe (35mm) sensors.

In addition 800-1000 what - we need an idea of the currency/country.

My apologies. I believe she had a t1i? Or rebel xs? Or are those the same? And 800-1000 us dollars.

Any of the Canon Rebels would be a good replacement. You can get them new, for as low as $500 I think. You could also look at the 'mid-level' bodies like the 40D, 50D, 60D etc. They are physically bigger and have more external controls than the rebels.

Heck, a used 20D or 30D is still a pretty decent camera, and could be found for $300-$400.

Thanks. If you had to suggest one precisely for general purpose (and yes, i realize that is vague and not helpful, but that's all he gave me), what would you choose?

Did he extensively use auto modes or was he into the semi and full manual controls? If the former then I'd get the best rebel money can buy since it will have all he needs plus the creative auto modes that give a little variety for the starter/non-serious shooter. If not then the 50D, 60D, 40D series bodies would be more ideal - offering the same semi-auto modes (but lacking the variety of full auto modes

Did he extensively use auto modes or was he into the semi and full manual controls? If the former then I'd get the best rebel money can buy since it will have all he needs plus the creative auto modes that give a little variety for the starter/non-serious shooter. If not then the 50D, 60D, 40D series bodies would be more ideal - offering the same semi-auto modes (but lacking the variety of full auto modes

Very helpful, thanks!

Regards,
Jake

I would go a different direction. If your uncle lives near you and you have a good relationship, judging by your signature, he would probably be better off going with a Nikon camera body and selling some of the 'unknown' cannon gear. That way, you could specifically help him out with settings, how to's, and possibly even let him borrow some gear every once in a while.

Generally, when somebody asks me what kind of camera they should buy, I answer back with what kind of camera gear does your friends use?

I got a Canon 50D and I love it. It's pretty comparable to the D90 in my opinion.

Get him an EOS 1V ;)

I would go a different direction. If your uncle lives near you and you have a good relationship, judging by your signature, he would probably be better off going with a Nikon camera body and selling some of the 'unknown' cannon gear. That way, you could specifically help him out with settings, how to's, and possibly even let him borrow some gear every once in a while.

Generally, when somebody asks me what kind of camera they should buy, I answer back with what kind of camera gear does your friends use?

Sadly he is three hours away and working all the time, and once i go to college i'll be nowhere near him. So i'll be there on the phone for support, but no in person support.

Regards,
Jake

Most reactions

New Topics

Back