Photos NOT OK to edit
what do you think?
c&c welcome

4203395688_840dec275f.jpg

4202637375_9ff22261e1.jpg

4202637467_e8350f5c8d.jpg

4202637263_9d52fd8dc5.jpg

beautiful subject for these. Here is my 2 cents worth:

#1 is interesting but needs more light on the face. However, the eyes are sharp and the focus is perfect
#2 is much too dark and I can't see enough of the person to have a mood evoked.
#3 is the winner: eyes are sharp, focus is perfect and the lighting is well done. maybe a bit more light on the other side of the face would be good but overall this works for me.
#4 is much too soft for me. the tip of her nose is too shiny and her forehead looks huge

#1 is interesting but needs more light on the face. However, the eyes are sharp and the focus is perfect
#3 is the winner: eyes are sharp, focus is perfect and the lighting is well done. maybe a bit more light on the other side of the face would be good but overall this works for me.
#4 is much too soft for me. the tip of her nose is too shiny and her forehead looks huge

thank you for your input, its very much appreciated, I was playing around with different lighting seeing what different kind of effects it would have on my face, I agree with your comment on #2 Just thought I'd try different possitions, and #4 I think it might just be that I just have a huge forehead but how do you think the forehead looks big?
Thanks!

we didn't know these are self portraits. that explains a few things.
if you use someone else as a model you can fix some of the problems you encountered.

exactly, like focus was a hard one, but when i try to apply any of these lighting techniques on a real model then i know which one's will work and what captures the viewers eye
Thanks for the input

that explains a few things.

please explain, i know the focus is off in some of these

it's the focus for sure. in 2 in particular.
also composition is hard if you have to guess where the subject is going to be.

all in all a good practice i'd say.

Am with the crowd on which one is the best. It was a striking photo to me.

we didn't know these are self portraits. that explains a few things.
if you use someone else as a model you can fix some of the problems you encountered.

In other words, you are being praised for good work: Rushing around from behind the camera to "pose" while not being there behind it to compose it. :)

thank you for your input, its very much appreciated, I was playing around with different lighting seeing what different kind of effects it would have on my face, I agree with your comment on #2 Just thought I'd try different possitions, and #4 I think it might just be that I just have a huge forehead but how do you think the forehead looks big?
Thanks!

I don't think that you really do have a huge forehead-I think it's the angle of the shot and that I can't see the hair very well.

I also think that you are a lovely subject. :D

Thanks!

I don't think that you really do have a huge forehead-I think it's the angle of the shot and that I can't see the hair very well.

I also think that you are a lovely subject. :D

I agree that its the angle of the shot and the lighting that makes me look like I have a big forehead,
and thanks for thinking I'm lovely, I actually thought I looked pretty bad, was fixing to go to bed, no makeup, no fixed hair or anything, just had some Ideas and wanted to play with my camera before I went to bed, ha ha. Thanks!

Generally when doing a half-lit face, you should make at least half of the face completely dark.

Most reactions

Back