A Post Production Techinque

What in that technique is contributing to girl's negative self-image?

You should avoid oversharpening.

Benji is a good shooter, if a bit stuck in the 80's. He's done some campaigns for Swarovski, apparently. But he's always been a little hair-brained when it comes to post-proceesing. I've posted here illustrating the difference between sharpening extra and sharpening an already sharpened image. The difference is something like linear vs. exponential.

You don't even have to believe my tests, though. Take a close look at the hair in Benji's photo he links to. It' artifacted. You can see it in the feathers as well if you look carefully.

I wouldn't be so hard on the guy if I thought he was well intentioned. But here's the thing, and this is easily confirmed by looking at his history (basically all of his posts have been in threads about himself). Benji is not here to be an altruist. He's here to advertise.

Stuck in the '80s??? Tell that to Vogue Brazil when I shoot for them in September...LOL ;-)

Thank goodness that the 80's look is back in Fashion. :lmao:

If fashion photogs are what is influencing my 15yo daughter with stuff like this, I must say I am NOT impressed.

I have a hard enough time convincing her she is good looking and intelligent. This just undermines what I have to work on with her.

For the rest of the fashion photogs, put yourself in the place of REAL parents with REAL kids. And then remember the TRUE influence you have on them when you go to post-process those 30 pounds off the model.

Look I have two daughters 14 & 15. I have read most of Alice Miller's books. Examples being, "Breaking Down the Walls of Silence", "For Your Own Good", "Banished Knowledge" etc. to assist me in not recycling what was done to me as a child on to my beautiful children. I understand your concern. All you can do for your child is give her "UNCONDITIONAL LOVE" and she will survive unencumbered and confident. I assure you, that my daughters have been to many of my shoots and do not wish they were the person I am shooting with. They like who they are because they know they are loved.

Fashion photographers are not influencing your daughter. Magazine editors and art directors are. Take it up with them.

Sorry, that's a cop-out on the part of the photog.

Sorry, actually, I believe Alpha has a good point.

The copout there was on the part of the parent, not the media or fashion photographer. It is not their place to raise your daughter... it is YOUR place to guide her. If the media has a stronger influence than you... I suggest you look in a mirror and take steps on how to change that.

I am not a father, but I am an uncle of a fatherless niece. I make sure her self-esteem is on track (being the only real male figure in her life) and I make sure she has a good grasp or reality vs what the media and marketing groups want you to believe. It takes two things to accomplish... solid communication and a solid relationship.

Don't put the blame on someone else over something that is your job to do... it is your responsibility to raise your children, not anyone else's.

Just like there is no such thing as a bad student, only bad teachers... there are no such things as a bad kid... only bad parents. If they fail, it is not their fault... it's the parent(s).

Whoa, I have to ask, how in the world does sharpening at 100-180 not result in oversharpening? Particularly when you've already sharpened the image...

It is cancelled out by the ludicrously small pixel radius. While the large numbers create oversharpening the small radius puts such weight on the original pixels that the surrounding pixels are really only dramatically altered at the edges. Unfortunately though this brings out any noise quite well.

Oversharpening comes from the repeated sharpening on the same images. It's an artistic choice too. Would you have noticed the artefacts if Alpha hadn't pointed them out? Instead you just end up with an image with insane contrast which is perfect for the application where someone speed reads through a magazine and attention should be grabbed wherever possible.

You should avoid oversharpening.

Benji is a good shooter, if a bit stuck in the 80's. He's done some campaigns for Swarovski, apparently. But he's always been a little hair-brained when it comes to post-proceesing. I've posted here illustrating the difference between sharpening extra and sharpening an already sharpened image. The difference is something like linear vs. exponential.

You don't even have to believe my tests, though. Take a close look at the hair in Benji's photo he links to. It' artifacted. You can see it in the feathers as well if you look carefully.

I wouldn't be so hard on the guy if I thought he was well intentioned. But here's the thing, and this is easily confirmed by looking at his history (basically all of his posts have been in threads about himself). Benji is not here to be an altruist. He's here to advertise.

Stuck in the '80s??? Tell that to Vogue Brazil when I shoot for them in September...LOL ;-)

Thank goodness that the 80's look is back in Fashion. :lmao:

Two things:

1) I wouldn't give you such a hard time if you actually participated in this forum like a normal person. I've never seen you post in anyone else's threads. And the only threads you start are self-promoting.

2) I do think your post processing could use some work and to be honest I've felt like most of your tutorials and guides have reflected a pretty mediocre understanding of the way your tools within photoshop actually operate. There are plenty of less destructive ways to achieve similar effects. I do think you're a good photographer. You have your ad campaigs to speak for that.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back