A Pro Pentax?

Will you shut up already about Canon and Nikon? Stop acting like they're the only pro cameras on the planet. Sheesh!

Max, I realize you are a fanatic and an expert at rudely criticizing people and what they write. But, wouldn't it be better to simply stay in the sidelines unless you have something constructive or meaningful to say? Or do you consider yourself the only source of wisdom on the forum?

And any time someone says "Looking for your first camera? Buy a Canon or Nikon" it is an advertisement, albeit a free one. Benjamin never specifically says "Buy Pentax", he doesn't try to convince anyone that Pentax is inherently better and he doesn't act like if you will be making a huge mistake if you don't follow his advice. That IMO puts him above a lot of people posting in photo forums, paid or not.

Big difference, Zaphod. Benji may not go the extremes that the amateurs do but he is a member of the Pentax photographic staff. That makes his posts about Pentax advertising and spam.

He is an experienced and capable photographer. He would benefit himself and all of us if he would post about photography rather than about Pentax cameras. He has a lot he could teach. But, he wants to sell instead.

And any time someone says "Looking for your first camera? Buy a Canon or Nikon" it is an advertisement, albeit a free one. Benjamin never specifically says "Buy Pentax", he doesn't try to convince anyone that Pentax is inherently better and he doesn't act like if you will be making a huge mistake if you don't follow his advice. That IMO puts him above a lot of people posting in photo forums, paid or not.

No offense ZaphodB but there is a big difference:

Post #1: I'm looking for a camera DSLR...
Reply: Buy [insert Canon/Nikon/Pentax] because they are the best...

and

Post#1: [insert Canon/Nikon/Pentax] is awsome.. look at my portfolio.

See the difference... one "Buy this or that" is posting is in reply to another member's question. The other is a new thread starting with "This is awsome but this or that".

Looking back at Benji's posts.. you can't deny that there are a lot of threads started by him raving about Pentax. The only difference between him and a Spammer is that he puts in just enough information and substance in his posts to keep him from being labeled as a Spammer. He's walking the grey line.

In most cases, his threads are simply spreading the word... much like a newsletter. Rarely do they inspire discussion with the proposition of an idea, discussion, or question.

Who are you trying to convince? Us or yourself?
I have no issues with the calibre or capability of the Pentax nor do i doubt the quality of your work - some of it is quite stunning. :hail:
However it seems that just about every time i see a post you're saying how good the pentax is or that it's as good as a Canon X or a Nikon Y.

I'm quite a believer that it's the photographer that takes the image, not the camera so the equipment is not as important as a good competent artistic user.

I'm fairly sure that i've read ealsewhere in this forum that you're sponsored by Pentax. I realise that everyone has their preference in a particular brand of gear - that's totally normal and i don't have a problem with it. But I don't read many posts from Canon users saying that my camera is this good, or Nikon users saying my camera is a definitely a pro because of this.
I may be reading this wrong but I can't help thinking your sponsorship from Pentax is somehow related to this type of post.

I apologise if I've taken your posts out of context or read them the wrong way but why do you constantly talk about how good your camera is?
We've seen your work and don't doubt the quality or your images or the camera - why the repeated praise after receiving a sponsorship?

I'm not having a go - i just can't figure out why the repeated praise when very few others, if anyone at all, does it, but i suppose most others don't receive free/cheap gear, or sponsorships from Canon or Nikon.

It could be i just missed some of your other posts.

Let's get this straight. I was Officially sponsored by Canon France..I was a loyal Canon user for almost 20 years. I changed to Pentax at my own volition and did so because the K10D was that good. I would not have given up my platform unless Pentax could perform. That would be professional suicide. I can use any platform I please. I am not compelled to use a platform. If it doesn't do what I need that tool to do and deliver the goods I would drop it like a hot potatoe. It is simple as that...

Big difference, Zaphod. Benji may not go the extremes that the amateurs do but he is a member of the Pentax photographic staff. That makes his posts about Pentax advertising and spam.

He is an experienced and capable photographer. He would benefit himself and all of us if he would post about photography rather than about Pentax cameras. He has a lot he could teach. But, he wants to sell instead.

If you did a bit of research, I have given technical advice and business advice in regards to photography. Here is just an example of what I am referring to...

http://www.ephotozine.com/learn/articles The first three are my contribution.

and...

http://pentaxlife.com/benjamin-kanarek-post-processing-method#more-213

Ben:wink:

I am not part of the Pentax staff..They couldn't afford me...They cannot pay my 12000€ PER DAY TARIF NOR THE ROYALTIES FOR THE SHOOTS I DO...Me thinks you complain too much. Would you feel better if i told you that I used a 'Blad recently with a 39 megapixel back for a client because they needed that resolution? Well that was the case. For most applications the K10D shines. Just had an image blown up to 3.5 x 5 meters at the 5th International Festival of Fashion Photography in Cannes shot with it and it worked out famously...;)

This is the image they used...

http://anashcreation.com/thenashgallery/BenjaminKanarek/double06?full=1

benjikan, man i wish you would REALLY make some of those photographic contributions on this forum! i do think what your doing is advertising, since your now being sponsored by pentax (that was my understanding) . . . but for some reason i don't care, i would hope you posted more stuff on here from that k10D you love so much . . . the proof is in the pudding right? join us in the portrait gallery!

I would be more convinced of your purity of heart if you didn't start these Pentax-promoting posts at several different sites with the same wording.

Let's get this straight. I was Officially sponsored by Canon France..I was a loyal Canon user for almost 20 years. I changed to Pentax at my own volition and did so because the K10D was that good. I would not have given up my platform unless Pentax could perform. That would be professional suicide. I can use any platform I please. I am not compelled to use a platform. If it doesn't do what I need that tool to do and deliver the goods I would drop it like a hot potatoe. It is simple as that...

You may very well have changed brand of your own volition - i wasn't arguing otherwise.

I was pointing out, as someone else now has, that your posts are, in the main about how good your equipment is. It's great you feel that way but why must you keep posting it?
Claiming that Pentax couldn't afford your alleged fee of 1200Euros per day is a bit childish. I'm fairly sure they could but whether they felt it would be money well spent is another.
Boasting about a sum of money you can earn merely reinforces my first post - it's as if you're showing off or boasting because you work for numerous mags and are sponsored by a major camera company.

In reality i'd imagine most members here aren't interested in which mags publish your work but are interested in how you achieve certain effects. Your photos are excellent but continually reminding everyone about your "excellent" camera (which is no more than what an advance amatuer might own) gets boring and puts people off.

I'd also imagine that most members are more interested in how you got that particular look or that lighting effect rather than which camera you use.

To be honest, i feel as though your posts come across as almost condescending and that you feel that you're doing all of us amatuers a huge favour by occasionally popping in to offer some titbits of advice.
If you stuck more to posting about your technique and methods, rather than who you work for or where you're published, i think people would really enjoy reading your posts.

benjikan, man i wish you would REALLY make some of those photographic contributions on this forum! i do think what your doing is advertising, since your now being sponsored by pentax (that was my understanding) . . . but for some reason i don't care, i would hope you posted more stuff on here from that k10D you love so much . . . the proof is in the pudding right? join us in the portrait gallery!

Thsi is the message I get systematically...

benjikan, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

As I see it you are unable or unwilling to post without carrying an agenda, either that Pentax is so wonderful or that you are so wonderful and your recent reponses substantiate this. Does this mean your posts are of no value? On the contrary as some have excellent tips, suggesstion's and information of value to this forum. As a pro myself, I can attest to the quality of your photos and techniques you have described but I fail to understand why anyone in this forum, much less a working pro, feel the need to promote a particular brand and self promote one self as blatantly and as frequently as you do. Is it because of some sort of financial gain as some here have suggested? Or is it because of some sort of inferiority complex? If these posts of yours were in response to posts that questioned the quality and usability of Pentax, I could, as I am sure others, understand and accept, but no many are generated by yourself. I think this is why many here are getting irritated by your posts promoting Pentax and of self promotion. It has been said over and over that it matters not the brand of the camera, but the talent behind the camera that matters, I think it is fair that most on this forum would agree to that. I think it also fair that most here care more for the exchange of ideas and an opportunity to learn than who is #1,2 or 3.

I am not part of the Pentax staff..They couldn't afford me...They cannot pay my 12000€ PER DAY TARIF NOR THE ROYALTIES FOR THE SHOOTS I DO...Me thinks you complain too much. Would you feel better if i told you that I used a 'Blad recently with a 39 megapixel back for a client because they needed that resolution? Well that was the case. For most applications the K10D shines. Just had an image blown up to 3.5 x 5 meters at the 5th International Festival of Fashion Photography in Cannes shot with it and it worked out famously...;)

This is the image they used...

http://anashcreation.com/thenashgallery/BenjaminKanarek/double06?full=1

It doesn't matter to me what you use, Benji. I'm sure you will use what works for you.

By photographic staff, I don't mean you are on the Pentax payroll. I mean you are provided with equipment by Pentax and are, in effect, a Pentax spokesman. As an example, Moose Peterson is a Nikon staff photographer. He isn't paid by Nikon but he is equipped by Nikon. Nothing wrong with that at all. However, it makes equipment posts like yours something less than objective in the eyes of the readers because of that.

The only consideration for a pro camera is "Will it make me more money and cost me less than anything else that will do the job?".

Anything else is commentary on your ego. :lol:

mike

Most reactions

New Topics

Back