A problem with attatching a polarizing filter to lens

New Hampshire

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey folks,

I went and purchased a screw mount, round 52mm polarizing filter for my manual focus Sigma 35-55mm lens (yes I realize Sigma does not sell manual focus lenses anymore....the lens is over 10 years old!!!!) as that is what is marked on the front of the lens. Now I have a bit of a problem....or at least I may be confused here. You see, the lens has threads on it for what I assumed was the filter, which are just forward of the glass of the lens but on the inside. The filter has threads, but are also on the inside and are the same thread (I think you would call them "female" threads) on both. I have no idea how these two pieces are supposed to meet. Was I supposed to buy an adapter too? If so, what adapter do I need?

Please help!

Brian

Two things, generally a filter will have female and male threads but I'm sure that is pretty clear and also are you sure the 55 number is not the filter size is there a circle with a line through next to the number 55 to me 55 sounds more like a filter size than a focal length I'm sorry if this all sounds a little condescending I'm just trying to help.

Oops, Im sorry, I don't know what the heck I was thinking....its a 35-80mm zoom lens. Printed in white on the very front of the lens is a circle with a line through it followed by the number 52, I assume this is the size that was supposed to be for the filter. Now, the filter indeed looks like a perfect size fit....the only problem being there is bothe female threads on the lens and on the filter. Thats why I asked if maybe Im supposed to have an adapter.

Brian.

:guilty: :guilty: :guilty: :guilty:

Idiot alert.....I was so fixated on the female threads on the filter (which I realize now is for stacking other filters on top) that I did not notice the 2 male threads on the other side.....yup, I had the thing backwards.

Ok folks, I herby allow you all to have a good laugh on me.

:lmao: :biglaugh: :smileys:

Remember, male always goes into female. The circle with the line through it does indicate the filter size. The reason the filter also has female threads in the front, is so you can stack filters or use more than one at a time.

Remember, male always goes into female. The circle with the line through it does indicate the filter size. The reason the filter also has female threads in the front, is so you can stack filters or use more than one at a time.

Yeah, I realize that now :guilty: . I became so fixated on the female threads that I did not even see the male threads on the front of the lens. How dumb is that!!! :mrgreen:

Oh well, this just proves one thing....there is no such thing as "idiot proof".

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Brian

One of my favorite quotes:

"Every time you make something fool-proof, they make a better fool."

:D

I was going to suggest that you were looking at the wrong side of the filter, but I didn't want to insult you. ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back